NYJetsFan.com Forums: Potential Head Coach Candidates For 2014 - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Don't read to much into Mark in the preseason. He usually looked good in the preseason even in a Jets uniform.. Big difference from regular season where the 1st string defense is playing 100%.
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) A lot of 1st stringers are just getting reps in and trying not to get injured. Its only the backups trying to keep or get a job playing hard every down. If preseason qb play meant anything then Matt Simms would be the starting qb of the Jets.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 August 2014 - 12:00 AM) In Geno we trust
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 August 2014 - 07:23 AM) preseason or not, our offense hasn't looked competent in a while like it does this year. our rushing attack should be very good. Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory could be a dynamic duo
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 10:14 AM) http://youtu.be/2X0H709cJkA
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) 2-0 lead most dangerous kind of lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM) Sam Bradford tears ACL and out for the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Dimitri Patterson is MISSING
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM) BREAKING NEWS: NO FAT CHICKS!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Rams want Sanchez
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Shotty and Sanchez again
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM) Champ Bailey to be released by Denver. Considering how busted up we are and Patterson now being suspended, do we take a look?
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:05 PM) Cro rumored to be gettin released from Arizona. We should definitely bring him in since he already knows the system and he's bett erhtan our 3rd/4th stringers which is where we're at at this point.
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) *better than
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM) Cro may get released?!
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 02:07 PM) /announcement
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 04:54 PM) patterson suspended indefinatly by idzik. were fucked at CB right now
azjetfan Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Do the Rams have a CB worth trading for?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) Saunders had a seizure, that is why he got into a car crash. He returned to practice, weird/
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 07:00 AM) ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 11:15 AM) i hate izdik
azjetfan Icon : (26 August 2014 - 12:32 PM) Our starting CB Walls working in rehab area
Jetsfan115 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 02:52 PM) any CBs that are decent on the trade block or facing salary cuts?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:00 PM) I wouldnt cut Hill watch him go to NE and turn into Randy Moss
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) I'm just glad there aren't anymore greedy bastards on the team to deal with
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Or street thugs
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) f*** a CB problem
Jetsman05 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) need 1 more in the fantasy league
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:33 PM) Dimitri suspended for the rest of preseason. I'm sorry, I know we are bone dry at corner these days but they should have cut this prick on the spot . He's going to get torched regardless this year and I'd rather cut ties with any potential cancerous attitutudes before the season even starts.
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:34 PM) Where I come from you take responsibility for your actions. Not showing up for a game is cowardly and selfish. f*** him
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:36 PM) Also he doesn't know what the acronym AWOL means so he's also an idiot. No wonder he's never been anything but a journeyman corner is this league.
azjetfan Icon : (26 August 2014 - 09:11 PM) So how do you really feel?
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 11:18 PM) I think my last three posts pretty much summarize how I feel haha. He's making 1.5 mill this year and no call no shows because his feeling are hurt. Would rather you play corner azjetfan than this guy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:12 AM) Need 1 more for FFB!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:39 AM) Stephen Hill is going to get cut, guy sucks. Greg Salas is a better football player and deserves a spot over him
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:27 AM) So when do we show up to 115s house with pitchforks, tar and feathers?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:03 PM) i'd rather see idzik go then hill. fire idzik
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 12:21 PM) Hill is such a disappointment. I really was hopping for so much when he scored 2 TDs his first game
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:11 PM) We need to get the J-E-T-S chant back this year to the way it was
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) idk if any of u guys went to any of the games last year[Im sure some of u did] but im not a fan of the drumline leading the chant
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:14 PM) its not the same as 70,000 people doing it during every kickoff and after every score
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:43 PM) injuries and poor QB play aren't good for a WR to develop
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:08 PM) 115 and Hill. Lol!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:18 PM) the excuses, Hill is just a terrible football player. no debate, just a fact. guy is soft as shit as well
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Potential Head Coach Candidates For 2014

#1 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Although the season still has one week to go and Rex technically has not been fired yet, everyone is obviously expecting him to be released and not finish out his contract.

Who does everyone think could be a potential candidate to take over? I think Idzik will want an Offensive coach rather than continuing with a Defense first HC.

Possibilities:

Darrel Bevel - Seattle OC
Josh McDaniels - N.E. OC
Greg Roman - 49ers OC
Adam Gase - Denver OC
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M HC
Pete Carmichael - Saints OC
Bruce Arians - Colts OC
Todd Haley - Steelers OC
Tom Clements - Packers OC

The most likely candidate would have to be Bevel from Seattle as Idzik and Bevel already are familiar with one another and Bevel has been named personally responsible for the growth of Russell Wilson. But.....just for fun, let's go through the other candidates listed.

With Gase & Carmichael likely returning to their teams, Roman, Arians & Haley would be the most likely candidates with Haley being the most likely to leave the roost.

Haley has had enough disagreements with Roethlisberger to almost solidify his departure. Roman will undoubtedly interview somewhere but I'm not convinced he'll be leaving SanFran. Bruce Arians would be virtually wonderful to have but it would be a tough sell to bring him to NY from Iny. Clements will likely end up in Chicago. McDaniels will likely end up leaving New England and land a HC spot with either Tampa, Minnesota or Detroit. Chicago will also request to interview him but likely go with Clements. Sumlin has done some good things with A&M and writes his own ticket if he wants to return there, but may want to make the leap to the big-time to test his skills.

I know people will mention Chucky in talks, but I think he's happy with his job with ESPN. If anything, Schiano may be let go and he may return to Tampa.

So what do you all think of the potentials listed above and obviously feel free to offer your own possibilities.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#2 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Bruce Arians is not the Indy OC anymore.

He coaches in Arizona. And is doing a damn good job.

#3 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 22 December 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Honestly forgot that he took the job there. Thanks for the correction.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#4 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

David Shaw would be nice too.

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

No one on that list is better than what we have now. We have the best coaching staff the jets have had in 13 years
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'd add

Jon Gruden
Ken Whisenhunt
Jay Gruden
David Shaw
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

I already listed Chucky. He's not coming out of ESPN to take over the Jets.
Wisenhunt is not better than Rex and will likely stay in SD so I don't think he gets consideration. He could end up in Oakland if they're not still butt hurt over his breaking off talks with them to take the job in Arizona.
Jay Gruden will stay with the Bungals as he just signed a 3 yr extension with them in 2012. He's evidently happy there as he turned down offers to interview for HC slots.
Davis Shaw is staying with Stanford. He was already in the pros and is happy where he is. IF he decided to come back up, he wouldn't be a bad option. He's a well rounded coach having already been a strength and conditioning, WR & QB coach. All three are areas of need for us.

In the end, I still hope that Rex comes back next season as none of these guys are better suited for the job. Rex, if fired, will be hired somewhere else within a week or two.

#8 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 24 December 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Davis Shaw is staying with Stanford.

He'll be in the NFL in the next 2 years.

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 22 December 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Arians was a guy I was screaming for last year. I thought he would have been a great coach.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   greenandwhite4life Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon
  • Interests:Sports, specifically football. Would love to be an analyst on ESPN after I'm done with college, and also movies and drama tv like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sopranos,

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

There are only three guys that I think will be good, and those are Darrel Bevel, Greg Roman, and possibly Tom Clements. These guys have proven, in my eyes, that they can coach their respective offenses incredibly well without the need of a franchise QB (yes Tom has Rodgers, but the fact that the Packers are probably gonna win the division without Rodgers playing for four weeks, and the fact that the offense has still looked pretty damn good without him, I'm pretty convinced). Denver I wouldn't like at all because as long as Manning is in the huddle, who knows how many play calls actually went through when the OC gave it to Manning. Also, if the Jets get McDaniels I will honestly jump out a window and give up on any SB chance for the next 3-4 years. This isn't a god damn one time stint, IT IS BLATANT FACT that the NE Patriots coaching tree IS THE WORST COACHING TREE IN NFL HISTORY. There is absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, no good Head Coaches that have ever come out of NE, and if there has been, sure as hell passed me by cause I don't believe for a second there's a good argument that there's been a decent HC to come out of NE. We're throwing away 3 years if we hire McDaniels, that's my honest opinion.

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

You are going to say that Ken Whisenhunt isn't a good candidate because he isn't better than Rex, but list Todd Haley? Haley lost his team as a HC. I rather have Whisenhunt, who had some of the worst QBs to work with in the NFL after Warner left. And Whisenhunt has done a great job with the Chargers offense this yaer.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 24 December 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

You are going to say that Ken Whisenhunt isn't a good candidate because he isn't better than Rex, but list Todd Haley? Haley lost his team as a HC. I rather have Whisenhunt, who had some of the worst QBs to work with in the NFL after Warner left. And Whisenhunt has done a great job with the Chargers offense this yaer.

Bam! Agreed.

#13 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postgreenandwhite4life, on 24 December 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

There are only three guys that I think will be good, and those are Darrel Bevel, Greg Roman, and possibly Tom Clements. These guys have proven, in my eyes, that they can coach their respective offenses incredibly well without the need of a franchise QB (yes Tom has Rodgers, but the fact that the Packers are probably gonna win the division without Rodgers playing for four weeks, and the fact that the offense has still looked pretty damn good without him, I'm pretty convinced). Denver I wouldn't like at all because as long as Manning is in the huddle, who knows how many play calls actually went through when the OC gave it to Manning. Also, if the Jets get McDaniels I will honestly jump out a window and give up on any SB chance for the next 3-4 years. This isn't a god damn one time stint, IT IS BLATANT FACT that the NE Patriots coaching tree IS THE WORST COACHING TREE IN NFL HISTORY. There is absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, no good Head Coaches that have ever come out of NE, and if there has been, sure as hell passed me by cause I don't believe for a second there's a good argument that there's been a decent HC to come out of NE. We're throwing away 3 years if we hire McDaniels, that's my honest opinion.

Bevel is the only guy that makes sense to me. The connection with Idzik via Seattle. The question I still ask is can any of these guys do a better job than Rex did with this roster? If we bring in a new guy will the pieces we have fit?
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 24 December 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Davis Shaw is staying with Stanford.

He'll be in the NFL in the next 2 years.

If Rex is to go, I would love to have him now. He works on the offense. Coached in the NFL and now college. He's kept Stanford humming despite losing Harbaugh and Luck is consecutive years. I think he would be successful in the NFL.

#15 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostChaos, on 25 December 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

If Rex is to go, I would love to have him now. He works on the offense. Coached in the NFL and now college. He's kept Stanford humming despite losing Harbaugh and Luck is consecutive years. I think he would be successful in the NFL.

The names I like are well known around here.

Jay Gruden.

Bill O'Brien.

#16 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 25 December 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

The names I like are well known around here.

Jay Gruden.

Bill O'Brien.

Pass on Gruden. Cincy doesn't have exactly a powerful Offense.

View PostJetsfan0099, on 24 December 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Please point out where I said Haley was better than Wisenhunt. You won't find it. I don't want Haley here. He was already with the orginaization under 3 Jets coaches including the shit years under Kotex. PASS.........I was merely mentioning people that will be potential candidates. As for your thinking that Wisenhunt is worth a grain of salt.......you say Haley lost a team. So did Wisenhunt. Remember Arizona starting 4-0 and then losing 9 straight? People want Rex fired for missing th eplayoffs 3 years in a row, but what do ya know........that's the same exact reason Wisenhunt got fired in Arizona. Rex has at least kept the team competitive every year and if we win Sunday, has only 1 losing season on his record.

You hold him (Wisenhunt) in acclaim due to the "job he's doing in SanDiego".........Rich Kotex could do the same job in SanDiego considering Rivers is having a career year completeing literally just under 70% of his passes. As for his working with "the worst QB's"........I think Rex has also done that and took one to two straight AFC Championship games & the other rookie to far exceeding expectations and Geno has been doing much better the past couple weeks.

So where's that BAM! at now 05? Just curious.

I blame Tanny & Woody for contributing to Rex's failure considering they decided to dump good chunks of money into the wrong players. Two players got huge contracts for no reason. One for beiung a legend in his own mind & the other because he was supposed to be the future of the club but because they paid him and the other, he had no weapons to throw to. Go figure.

As for Gruden......again......he just signed a 3 yr contract extension a year ago. Yes.....he can always walk away from it, but he's not the answer to our needs. The team has responded to Marty Morninweg the past few games and we'd be putting up a lot more points if we had receivers that could actually catch the damn ball. I think Holmes has about 4 times more drops than catches over the past few weeks. Hill is garbage. Our BEST receivers as Kerley, Nelson & Salas. Nelson & Salas weren't even on the roster at the start of the season. Cribbs also came in late and performed nicely until he got hurt.

Holmes and Hill have both played their last games as Jets. I wouldn't even let Holmes fly down to Miami with the team. I guarantee if he makes even one catch for a 1st down he'll do that fvcking restarded as$ ball drop as if he's made some sort of accomplishment when he isn't $hit.

We're competitive at TE with Cumberland and Winslow considering Cumberland has improved as the season has progressed. We're actually in somewhat better shape than many think on Offense. If we had ACTUAL #1 & #2 WR's, our offense could do so much more. Chris Ivory tears $hit up running even though many teams are stacking the box on us because either Geno is prone to throw a pick or we simply have no receivers capable of creating seperation. Our BIGGEST issue is no WR. Geno will still be on the roster next season and battling for the starting position. We're likely going to draft someone anyway with the rich QB class coming out just in case, but with a year under his belt and maybe he works with the QB coach during the offseason, Geno may still have a future.

Anyway....back on subject.......Haley is a consideration but I don't want him. Wisenhunt is another imploder as state previously. Shaw would be the prime choice candidate but like I said.......he's already turned down 3 HC interviewing offers to stay in Stanford. Do you really think he wants to leave somewhere he's being successful to come to the circus that is NJ? I seriously doubt it even though he may see something here.

#17 User is offline   greenandwhite4life Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon
  • Interests:Sports, specifically football. Would love to be an analyst on ESPN after I'm done with college, and also movies and drama tv like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sopranos,

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 24 December 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Bevel is the only guy that makes sense to me. The connection with Idzik via Seattle. The question I still ask is can any of these guys do a better job than Rex did with this roster? If we bring in a new guy will the pieces we have fit?

Oh no doubt I agree.I only said offenses in my post, not the whole team. Don't get me wrong even if these are the top 3 guys, I still don't know whether they will get there whole team to play well like Rex did or not.

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Whisenhunt didn't lose his taem, he had terrible QBs. John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are much worse than what we had. Derek Anderson is awful, and Kevin Kolb can't stay healthy. Toddy Haley actually lost his team, like players HATE him. I didn't say he lost his team because he lost, players just don't like haley.

And why are we comparing them to Rex? we are probably going to downgrade, I don't want Rex fired, this is if he is. And retread coaches are sometimes better on their 2nd team than first. He brought the Cardinals to the SB, that is a big feat in itself.

Yes Rivers is having a great year, which is why I said Whisenhunt has done a great job there. If you have paid attention, Rivers hasn't played all that great the past few seasons. So you could say Whisenhunt brought him back.

Who says Shaw wouldn't coach here? Or Gruden? Who says your considerations are it? Why even mention Haley if you think he sucks? And some of what you said isn't even accurate. Like thinking Bruce Arians wasn't a HC right now for the Cardinals. Or that Tom Clements is going to the Bears, why would he go there? They have Marc Trestman as HC and Clements is a OC so he have to get a HC job to move.

You don't need to find a guy leaving their team, coaches LEAVE teams to become HCs. There are 32 NFL HC job in the WORLD. The chance doesn't come around often.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thankfully this thread is a moot point as Rex is officially coming back next year.

BUT....to answer your question of why do I list as you say considerations if I think they suck.......that's easy. Because those are possibilities (or were in this case). I'm willing to bet most if not all of the names I listed will interview for coaching positions with the exception of those I said will stay put.

#20 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 29 December 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Thankfully this thread is a moot point as Rex is officially coming back next year.

I'll agree with that. :drinks:
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users