NYJetsFan.com Forums: Cromartie Wants To Stay With Jets - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop another game vs Lions. Offense is bad
santana Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:00 PM) Oh god what has KC done! GARAPAPOLLO UNLEASHED
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:01 PM) I hope someone lays a Mo Lewis on Garapapolo
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:01 PM) square in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:02 PM) so brady can get his knee broken again
santana Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:03 PM) I'm scared
santana Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:03 PM) this kid might be legit
santana Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:04 PM) IT WASNT WORTH IT
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:04 PM) cmon KC
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:04 PM) wtf
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:04 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:04 PM) they let the rookie just drive it on them
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:05 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:05 PM) now KC needs a TD
santana Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) It wasn't worth it :(
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:15 PM) KC has some big ol boys
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:19 PM) TY KC for bringing these overrated fucks back down to earth
azjetfan Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:22 PM) I think 03 should be a mod. I think everyone should be.
azjetfan Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:23 PM) What do we have to loose?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:34 PM) our O better get their shit together starting this Sunday
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:34 PM) we need to be on our A game when we play Denver and the CHEATriots
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:34 PM) and Buffalo doesn't scare me
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 10:34 PM) but these next 3 games better get it's shit together
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 September 2014 - 11:01 PM) maybe Idzik knew that MEvis was not as good anymore
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:11 AM) Nah, fire idzik
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:12 AM) Milber is expected to play this week, how nice of him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:14 AM) The chargers are going to be tough
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 AM) well there is a silver lining to this season, tom brady sucks and so do the pats
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:48 AM) Jets sign John Conner back, with Bohannon injured at FB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:49 AM) that is why they should consider starting Vick, they could compete for the divsion with solid QB play. Can Rex really afford to sit there waiting for things to click with Geno while he keeps throwing INTs?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:26 PM) i didn't even notive bohannon was hurt
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:28 PM) vick gives us a chance to win now, geno can still learn as a backup
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:28 PM) I miss T Bo already
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:35 PM) The raiders are a dumpster fire
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:36 PM) they are naming Tony Sparano yes that Tony Sparano formally the OC of the NYJ and the wildcat whacko from Miami is the new interim HC for the Oakland Gayders
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:39 PM) well good thing we got rid of LaRon Landry since he just got suspended for PED's
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:08 PM) i'm not suprised. that guy looked like he was on roids
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:10 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:37 AM) fantasy help - Rivers and DJax for Dez and Tannehill? i'll be getting dez and tannehill. i'm the one proposing the trade.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:41 AM) i have brees starting. they have eli.
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 05:53 PM) I would do that trade. Djax has been horrible and with you having Brees as your starter, i would totally do that trade
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 PM) START VICK
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 08:59 PM) If that guy gives up dez for rivers and Jackson he's an idiot
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 09:00 PM) I just traded dez and Steve smith for AJ green, Reggie Wayne, golden Tate and Stevan Ridley and I feel like I made a bad choice.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 10:02 PM) they have no QB. 1-3 with eli/tannehill as your starter? i need another WR or RB to strengthen my team and Rivers is my best sell.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 10:03 PM) kinda hoping to use the desperation to shore up my team
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Cromartie Wants To Stay With Jets

#1 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Antonio Cromartie said Thursday he would be willing to restructure his contract to remain with the New York Jets.

"This is where I want to retire," the cornerback said, according to the New York Daily News.

A season ago, the Jets surely would be on board with Cromartie, who has one year remaining on his deal and is due a $5 million bonus in March. Now, the 29-year-old's future is less clear.

Cromartie opened the season as a Rex Ryan favorite. The coach routinely called him one of the best corners in football, and Cromartie's high-end coverage skills in 2012 gave the franchise a measure of comfort when they made the move to trade Darrelle Revis.

That's part of what made Cromartie's swift fall from grace so painful for the team. This season, Cromartie is ranked 104th out of 110 corners by Pro Football Focus, a site that grades every snaps for every NFL player. Cromartie was ranked 16th using the same metrics in 2012.

Cromartie has been slowed by a knee injury and a hip issue that he concedes could require offseason surgery. It helps to explain his struggles this season -- especially on deep balls.

The nadir of Cromartie's season came Sunday, when Ryan turned to rookie Dee Milliner to match up against dynamic Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon. The Jets won and Milliner -- who's had his own well-documented struggles in 2013 -- held his own.

The secondary has been a major issue for the Jets, and the team will remain committed to Milliner, the No. 9 overall draft pick in April's draft. The Jets don't have nearly the same committment to Cromartie -- they could conceivably walk away after Sunday.

Just another question mark in an offseason full of them in Florham Park.
Posted Image

#2 User is online   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Cro can stay if he can get healthy and if he takes a massive pay cut.

#3 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

I dont always believe players when they say they want to finish their career with a team unless its a star player that is very high paid by the team. Even then you can never be sure. Especially in the NFL with the salary cap, limited amount of games, and huge budget to run teams. You cant really blame players for switching teams for a higher salary even though as fans we do just that.

That said maybe I'm naive in this case but I actually believe Cro when he says he wants to finish his career here. When Cro was with the Chargers he was known for having an attitude and being very up and down as a corner back. Along with a huge amount of money he owed for child support and on the verge of going to jail for it and along with that criminal charges pending Cor was not wanted by many teams and being on the verge of his career being over in the NFL.

The Jets helped Cro out of a huge problem covering his $25,000 owed in child support and helped Cro out of a huge jam. Also Cro owed his former agent Jason Fletcher $32,000. And on top of that had possible charges pending against him for assault with a deadly weapon (a gun).

Basically the Jets took a very huge risk on a player that was very in debt and a possible all around problem. It worked out for the Jets and Cro which is great because there are player that never learned. Its great when people are given a chance and take advantage of it because it doesn't happen to often.

So with all that in mind I really believe Cro respects the Jets and wants to stay here until he retires or the Jets dont want him anymore. Any self respecting person who is a real man would feel indebted to a team that helped him out of an impossible situation.

I just hope Cro isnt really on the down-slide of his career. Last season and this season have been like night and day. Hopefully it truly is just from bothersome injuries.

#4 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

This basically shows how bad of a situation Cromartie`s financial situation was. It took him till mid 2013 to get out of debt.

New York Jets Antonio Cromartie Fixes Finances With Help Of Business Manager
article date: 6/12/2013

It is no secret that New York Jets cornerback Antontio Cromartie battled through some major financial issues when he first got into the NFL. Cromartie, a Florida State Seminole, was selected by the San Diego Chargers with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft and signed a 5-year, $12.5 million contract with the organization. He recently admitted that he spent roughly $5 million in his first 2 seasons with the Chargers. Something had to change or else Cromartie was going to secure himself a life of insolvency.

Fortunately for Cromartie, a major change was made. He linked up with Fadde Mikhail and hired a business manager. ”Since then, Antonio has made a complete financial turnaround to the point that he is financially set until the age of 100 if he makes it that far,” said Mikhail, President of Creative Sports International to FORBES. ”His kids are set for life as well.”

Many recall Cromartie talking about his kids on the sixth season of HBO’s TV series Hard Knocks. Unfortunately, Cromartie is largely remembered for being slow in recalling the names of his children. Perhaps the biggest takeaway is his responsibility to care for so many individuals he is responsible for creating.

Mikhail, who also serves as the marketing agent for other NFL players including C.J. Spiller, Darren Sproles, Jimmy Clausen and Taylor Mays, matched Cromartie up with business manager and CPA Jonathan Schwartz roughly 4 years ago. While common in the entertainment industry, business managers are a rarity in professional sports, but they are not necessarily worthless for athletes who are in need of proper guidance.

“There is such a void in the professional sports world as far as the existence of business managers and the role we play in athletes’ lives,” explained Schwartz of GSO Business Management to FORBES. ”We are like the backroom CFO. The reality is that athletes need our service.”

A business manager is not fail-safe device for avoiding bad business decisions, but retaining a business manager could reduce the risk of athletes squandering their fortunes based on the poor advice received from third parties. For instance, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently sued a former teammate based on a claim that the teammate advised him to invest $160,000 in bogus tax credits. While it is unknown whether and/or how much Brees looked into the transaction before spending his money, a business manager could come in to conduct the necessary due diligence on such a proposal.

Schwartz does not give his clients financial advice and he believes that agents should stay away from financial talk as well. What he and his company do provide is a tax department, insurance department, bill pay service and leads to professionals including respected individuals in the investment/asset management, legal and banking fields.

“Athletes rarely have anyone quarterbacking all the professionals they work with,” said Schwartz. ”When I was fortunate enough to meet Cromartie, I saw he was a good hearted person, but was surrounding himself with unprofessional people and those who didn’t have the education to give him the guidance he needed. But he was willing to admit he made mistakes and hold himself accountable.”

Antonio Cromartie signed a 4 year, $32 million contract with the New York Jets on August 1, 2011. Schwartz admits that the contract has a lot to do with Cromartie’s new-found financial freedom. However, he still believes that the services he provides are necessary for athletes and that there is an opportunity for growth in his industry. ”I am not selling a can of paint; I am selling a real professional service,” said Schwartz, who also represents former MLB player David Justice, NBA player Mo Williams and a plethora of musicians. ”The problem is how to capitalize and solicit clients. Many agents want something in return and that’s not my style. So I have to be very candid and transparent.”

Schwartz says that he has not grown his athlete management division much in the past couple of years. But he also claims that it is not all that expensive for athletes to retain him. Cromartie likely thinks it is an investment worth having.

SOURCE: Forbes.com
My link

#5 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

8<

#6 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 26 December 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

8<

Posted Image
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Would have to be pretty massive. Considering he counts for against $14 mil and he was one of the worst Cbs in the game this season.

I would just release him, hes getting older and seems to be damaged goods. They can find a cheaper CB that can get it done.
Posted Image

#8 User is online   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 December 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Would have to be pretty massive. Considering he counts for against $14 mil and he was one of the worst Cbs in the game this season.

I would just release him, hes getting older and seems to be damaged goods. They can find a cheaper CB that can get it done.

I would too but he's 29 and he's become a leader in the clubhouse. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot at getting healthy and coming back. The decline from last year is just to drastic in my eyes to consider a skill and age decline. It has to be an injury that has been hampering him.

#9 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Nice article Robjets . Cromartie may be used against TE or Safety since 29 is not old . one day you guys will be 29 and wonder am I to old too.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#10 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Cro will be back. He will restructure and probably end up around 8 million or less. From what I read he will need surgery on his hip he hurt in preseason. You could tell he was not healthy all year. His stride was very limited. I don't think he will have much leverage to go elsewhere since he is damaged goods. Other teams may shy away.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 01 January 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Cro will be back. He will restructure and probably end up around 8 million or less. From what I read he will need surgery on his hip he hurt in preseason. You could tell he was not healthy all year. His stride was very limited. I don't think he will have much leverage to go elsewhere since he is damaged goods. Other teams may shy away.

Him needing hip surgery would be a bigger reason to release him.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 01 January 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Him needing hip surgery would be a bigger reason to release him.

Depends on what is going on but that is 100% a possibility. What would suck is for him to pull an Ed Reed and wait to get the surgery after he is resigned. I would rather him have the surgery so we have an idea what we have before we do anything. If we cut him we will have another hole to fill. If he can be healthy he is a good corner and has become a good leader in the locker room.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Cromartie was a bottom 5 CB this season, won't be hard to replace that production. I'm releasing him and saving the $9.5 mil.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 01 January 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

Cromartie was a bottom 5 CB this season, won't be hard to replace that production. I'm releasing him and saving the $9.5 mil.

There are to many unknowns to make that statement. Unless you are OK with the way the pass D played this year. You are correct in saying his performance would be easy to replace at this years standards. I believe at 29 he still has alot left. I believe his hip injury is much worse than the Jets released. My question is will he be 100% for 2014 or not. That is the question. If he is 100% he can return to form. If not it is time to move on. No one here knows. The team doctors and FO staff probably have a good feel for what the injury is and his likely hood to return is. I am not arguing his porformance for this year. He played poorly. I just believe it was due to injuries not how much he has left.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Cromartie is a guy who once he loses his speed and athleticism hes garbage.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 02 January 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Cromartie is a guy who once he loses his speed and athleticism hes garbage.

That's true about most skill positions. The question is...... did he lose it or was it because of injury.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

If Cro has slowed down for good he could always be moved to safety. As long as he is willing to restructure his contract the Jets should keep him. One bad year hampered by injuries isn't a reason to get rid of him imo. At least he played through his injuries. The team was without Revis multiple times for different injuries. At least Cro has been durable.

Basically unless we can snag a young stud corner from someone releasing him could be a huge mistake and make the pass defense even worse. Other than Revis we haven't had much luck in getting quality corners in the draft. Lowery, Wilson didn't work out as starting corners and kept falling in the depth chart. Milliner hasn't been that impressive either so far.

#18 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 02 January 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

If Cro has slowed down for good he could always be moved to safety. As long as he is willing to restructure his contract the Jets should keep him. One bad year hampered by injuries isn't a reason to get rid of him imo. At least he played through his injuries. The team was without Revis multiple times for different injuries. At least Cro has been durable.

Basically unless we can snag a young stud corner from someone releasing him could be a huge mistake and make the pass defense even worse. Other than Revis we haven't had much luck in getting quality corners in the draft. Lowery, Wilson didn't work out as starting corners and kept falling in the depth chart. Milliner hasn't been that impressive either so far.

I think Wilson is one of the better nickel corners in the league. Well worth his low 1st round pick. But yes moving Cro to FS may be a good move. Let him play back and get the ball.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I find it funny that some people here are saying to automatically cut him rather than allow him to have the hip surgery and then restructure, but they were all about giving upwards of 16 per year to a guy that had MAJOR knee surgery. Cro can be resigned for 6 or 7 when push comes to shove if the surgery goes well. If the surgery & rehab don't go well, cut him before July 1 and nothing is lost. The draft isn't even until May so that's a lot of time to see what happens.

I also don't see how he was bottom 5 in the league. QB's shied away from him a number of games this season. He was definitely burned too many times but that was OBVIOUS he was hurt and that falls on Rex and the CB coaches for not pulling him and getting the treatment needed during the season to get a head start on the rehab.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#20 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 January 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I find it funny that some people here are saying to automatically cut him rather than allow him to have the hip surgery and then restructure, but they were all about giving upwards of 16 per year to a guy that had MAJOR knee surgery. Cro can be resigned for 6 or 7 when push comes to shove if the surgery goes well. If the surgery & rehab don't go well, cut him before July 1 and nothing is lost. The draft isn't even until May so that's a lot of time to see what happens.

I also don't see how he was bottom 5 in the league. QB's shied away from him a number of games this season. He was definitely burned too many times but that was OBVIOUS he was hurt and that falls on Rex and the CB coaches for not pulling him and getting the treatment needed during the season to get a head start on the rehab.

1. He is coming off a horrendous season. Granted Revis was injured, but Cromartie was not considered far and away the best CB in the league when healthy.
2. He can't restructure under the current conditions.
3. Nobody on this site said to "give Revis upwards of $16 million per year."
4. I like how you use QBs supposedly shying away from Cromartie as a credit to him, but never did the same thing with Revis, and as such he "wasn't any better than Ty Law" according to you.
5. Revis wasn't pushing 30 when he was injured. CB's typically regress after 30 and there is no reason to go into the 2014 season for the Jets to pay him what they will be.
Posted ImagePosted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users