NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

OFF SEASON ALMOST OVER AUG 13 VS LIONS
Mr_Jet Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:20 PM) Yes I highly recommend anybody looking to get into House of Cards to take a weekend to binge watch at least the first 2 seasons.
azjetfan Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:29 PM) I agree mr jet. The third was a little disappointing
azjetfan Icon : (10 June 2015 - 04:34 PM) Boss is what is what I am watching now. Not as good as house of cards but entertaining
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 03:53 PM) Eagles release absent Pro Bowl guard Mathis
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 03:54 PM) get it done big mac. instant upgrade at Guard for us
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:36 PM) 33 years old.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:36 PM) Im not against it but it would have to be a short term deal
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:37 PM) rumor has it he wanted a raise over his $5.5 million base this year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:39 PM) 33 is young for a guard. he's got at least 3-4 more years in him
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) Mmmmm I disagree.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) I would go 2 year deal.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:41 PM) Maybe longer if we could get out of it after 2
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 11:36 AM) backloaded 4 year deal ca cut after 2 years wit minimum cap hit
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 02:22 PM) Jets sign free agent OT Charlles Brown
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:48 PM) We won't be able to backload it. He won't accept the offer. Keep in mind he requested he release because they couldn't come to an agreement on a raise.
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:49 PM) He is probably looking for $7 million or more per year.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 09:44 AM) he was only making 5.5 million this year. we can give him 10 mil signing bonus onf a 5 year deal and a low base salary (like 3 mil a year) it'll average out to 5 mil a year, but he'll get 13 million this year (more then double) and will cost 5 mil a year against the cap for the rest of the deal
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Any news on Mathis at all? Haven't heard anything since his release.
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Also, Sam Baker was cut today as well
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 04:52 PM) Titans releasing RB Shonn Greene
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 June 2015 - 10:40 PM) TEH WARRIORS
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 11:08 PM) This trophy ceremony awkward as fuck I had to turn it off
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:02 PM) It really was. It was more Doris Burke interviewing the Warriors than it was a trophy ceremony. Plus Adam Silver forgot to hand the Warriors owner the trophy after he was done talking to the crowd.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:03 PM) R.I.P. Stuart Scott
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE SILVER
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE BURKE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 June 2015 - 06:27 PM) THE A-ROD!!
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:19 PM) god damn week no activity in here
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:20 PM) might have to chop this table up into fire wood
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:26 PM) FIRE WOOD!
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:54 PM) Kristaps Porzingis???
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:55 PM) You'd think Isiah Thomas was still running the Knicks last night.
santana Icon : (27 June 2015 - 07:30 PM) Lol yeah no clue about those names
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) Is there any chance that Porzingis ends up being good?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) I'm guessing he won't be the next Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowviski
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:41 AM) You never know, he could be as good as Gasol brothers or Dirk. Honestly the Knicks picking at #4 did the same thing the 3 teams picking ahead of them did. Picked a 19 year who could go boom or bust.
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:45 AM) Porzingis seems to have the "I'm going to prove them wrong" type of attitude needed to overcome people's doubts about him. Hopefully he'll have the work ethic that goes along with that attitude.
azjetfan Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM) In other news I decided to shave the dome. Since the hair was falling out anyway I figured I would show it who's boss
santana Icon : (29 June 2015 - 01:11 PM) Deisel up shave the dome
Mr_Jet Icon : (29 June 2015 - 04:49 PM) Welcome home.
azjetfan Icon : (29 June 2015 - 08:59 PM) I feel fast.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:53 PM) Shot an 86 today. Personal best.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:19 PM) well done
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:19 PM) im going to play friday
blk_orion Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) play what? golf?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo East west shrine game stand out

#1 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

NFL world is all abuzz about Eastern Illinois QB Garoppolo
ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter January 21, 2014 10:24PM

Updated: January 22, 2014 10:51AM

MOBILE, Ala. — With Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo destined for the big stage of the NFL, the media made sure to clarify a few things about him while he sat on a small stage during Senior Bowl week.

How exactly do you say your name?

“Ga-ra-po-lo,” he said with an affable smile. “It’s usually how most people think.”

Is that a Greek name?

“Italian,” he said, now beaming. “It ends in a vowel.”

So goes the world of Garoppolo. The Rolling Meadows High School graduate was the most valuable player of the East-West Shrine Game on Saturday, and now he’s taking a starring role during Senior Bowl week.

Everyone — from media to scouts to team executives — wants to know everything about him.

The NFL world is gushing over Garoppolo, who, in the last several weeks, has gone from an unknown to a potential late-round pick to a possible second- or third-round selection, in the opinions of some NFL evaluators. His model mechanics, quick release and overall potential are the buzz of the offseason.

◆ ◆ ◆

The Chicago area doesn’t have a rich history of producing NFL quarterbacks. Only nine from the metro area have started an NFL regular-season game since the merger.

“It’s a rare thing,” Garoppolo said.

He just happens to be the next best thing.

With Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron declining to participate in the Senior Bowl, Garoppolo received a late invite after his strong showing in the East-West Shrine game. The NFL wanted to see more with better players around him.

It was a grind going straight from St. Petersburg, Fla., to Mobile — “I’m a little sleep-deprived,” Garoppolo said — but that hasn’t prevented him from turning heads.

“He’s looked really good,” an NFL executive in search of a quarterback said.

The best thing about him?

“He’s got a good release — a great release,” the executive said.

Two weeks in front of the NFL world only has strengthened his case for the draft. He’ll get a chance to show more next month at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“In a job interview for any profession, you want to get face time,” said Daniel Jeremiah, a former NFL scout and current NFL Network analyst. “He’s had an opportunity now to get weeks of face time with the bosses, so to speak, of the NFL. He’s handled himself really well, and he’s helping himself a lot.”

◆ ◆ ◆

For seven years, Garoppolo honed his skills under the tutelage of former NFL quarterback Jeff Christensen, who runs the Throw It Deep quarterback and receiver academy in suburban Lombard.

For Garoppolo, who didn’t play quarterback until his junior year at Rolling Meadows, it was all about establishing a delivery.

“He’s always been an open book,” said Christensen, an Eastern Illinois product who spent time with six NFL teams. “He’s always been willing to absorb and apply.”

Garoppolo might not have generated a ton of Division-I interest at Rolling Meadows. But it didn’t take long for him to develop into a record-setting quarterback at Eastern Illinois, breaking marks set by the Cowboys’ Tony Romo and earning the 2013 Walter Payton Award (top offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision).

“You can’t supersede accuracy,” said Christensen, who has helped develop former Bears quarterback Matt Blanchard. “And [Garoppolo] is incredibly, incredibly accurate, and that’s the key.

“He’s an NFL starting quarterback.”

Garoppolo, whom Bears general manager Phil Emery scouted this past season at EIU, thanks a lot of people for his rise. It starts with his parents, Tony and Denise, and being part of a football-playing family with three brothers, Tony Jr., Mike and Bill.

Then there’s Christensen — who compares Garoppolo’s delivery to Tom Brady’s and Aaron Rodgers’ — and former EIU coach Bob Spoo and longtime assistant Roy Wittke for their honest recruiting approach. He also appreciates the system and approach former EIU coach Dino Babers (now at Bowling Green) provided the last two seasons.

He never has regretted going to EIU.

“We’re just so happy for him,” Tony Garoppolo said. “It’s all about him.”

◆ ◆ ◆

Garoppolo will tell you he has to improve many things, starting with his footwork. Five- and seven-step drops are foreign to him after playing in a shotgun system in college.

But the Jaguars’ staff, which is coaching the South team, doesn’t have any complaints.

“His footwork is pretty good,” Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said. “He throws with a nice base and good feet. It’s pretty neat to see. You can see his release, which is a nice benefit for him.”

There will be a number of quarterbacks who will go before Garoppolo in the draft, starting with Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel and Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater.

But scouts are convinced that Garoppolo will be a good one, too.

“He’s got some really special qualities,” said Shawn Zobel, the editor of draftheadquarters.com, who has privately worked for multiple NFL teams.

“Mechanically, he’s about what you look for. Everybody going into the NFL needs some fine-tuning here or there, but in terms of an Eastern Illinois quarterback, he’s far more developed than you’d expect for an FCS quarterback.

“To me, he’s the dark horse of this year’s NFL class. Down here, he flashes the ability to be a top quarterback. I think he’s on his way to being a second- or third-round pick when all is said and done.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
Twitter: @adamjahns

http://www.suntimes....-garoppolo.html
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

This guy has the look.

Posted Image
BTW that wasn't the senior bowl, that was the East/west shrine game. The senior bowl is happening this week.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Fixed

GAROPPOLO

#4 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

http://draftbreakdow...see-state-2013/

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users