NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Don't read to much into Mark in the preseason. He usually looked good in the preseason even in a Jets uniform.. Big difference from regular season where the 1st string defense is playing 100%.
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) A lot of 1st stringers are just getting reps in and trying not to get injured. Its only the backups trying to keep or get a job playing hard every down. If preseason qb play meant anything then Matt Simms would be the starting qb of the Jets.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 August 2014 - 12:00 AM) In Geno we trust
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 August 2014 - 07:23 AM) preseason or not, our offense hasn't looked competent in a while like it does this year. our rushing attack should be very good. Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory could be a dynamic duo
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 10:14 AM) http://youtu.be/2X0H709cJkA
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) 2-0 lead most dangerous kind of lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM) Sam Bradford tears ACL and out for the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Dimitri Patterson is MISSING
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM) BREAKING NEWS: NO FAT CHICKS!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Rams want Sanchez
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Shotty and Sanchez again
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM) Champ Bailey to be released by Denver. Considering how busted up we are and Patterson now being suspended, do we take a look?
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:05 PM) Cro rumored to be gettin released from Arizona. We should definitely bring him in since he already knows the system and he's bett erhtan our 3rd/4th stringers which is where we're at at this point.
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) *better than
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM) Cro may get released?!
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 02:07 PM) /announcement
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 04:54 PM) patterson suspended indefinatly by idzik. were fucked at CB right now
azjetfan Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Do the Rams have a CB worth trading for?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) Saunders had a seizure, that is why he got into a car crash. He returned to practice, weird/
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 07:00 AM) ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 11:15 AM) i hate izdik
azjetfan Icon : (26 August 2014 - 12:32 PM) Our starting CB Walls working in rehab area
Jetsfan115 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 02:52 PM) any CBs that are decent on the trade block or facing salary cuts?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:00 PM) I wouldnt cut Hill watch him go to NE and turn into Randy Moss
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) I'm just glad there aren't anymore greedy bastards on the team to deal with
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Or street thugs
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) f*** a CB problem
Jetsman05 Icon : (26 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) need 1 more in the fantasy league
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:33 PM) Dimitri suspended for the rest of preseason. I'm sorry, I know we are bone dry at corner these days but they should have cut this prick on the spot . He's going to get torched regardless this year and I'd rather cut ties with any potential cancerous attitutudes before the season even starts.
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:34 PM) Where I come from you take responsibility for your actions. Not showing up for a game is cowardly and selfish. f*** him
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 08:36 PM) Also he doesn't know what the acronym AWOL means so he's also an idiot. No wonder he's never been anything but a journeyman corner is this league.
azjetfan Icon : (26 August 2014 - 09:11 PM) So how do you really feel?
RetireChrebet Icon : (26 August 2014 - 11:18 PM) I think my last three posts pretty much summarize how I feel haha. He's making 1.5 mill this year and no call no shows because his feeling are hurt. Would rather you play corner azjetfan than this guy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:12 AM) Need 1 more for FFB!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:39 AM) Stephen Hill is going to get cut, guy sucks. Greg Salas is a better football player and deserves a spot over him
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:27 AM) So when do we show up to 115s house with pitchforks, tar and feathers?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:03 PM) i'd rather see idzik go then hill. fire idzik
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 12:21 PM) Hill is such a disappointment. I really was hopping for so much when he scored 2 TDs his first game
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:11 PM) We need to get the J-E-T-S chant back this year to the way it was
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) idk if any of u guys went to any of the games last year[Im sure some of u did] but im not a fan of the drumline leading the chant
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:14 PM) its not the same as 70,000 people doing it during every kickoff and after every score
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:43 PM) injuries and poor QB play aren't good for a WR to develop
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:08 PM) 115 and Hill. Lol!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:18 PM) the excuses, Hill is just a terrible football player. no debate, just a fact. guy is soft as shit as well
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo East west shrine game stand out

#1 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

NFL world is all abuzz about Eastern Illinois QB Garoppolo
ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter January 21, 2014 10:24PM

Updated: January 22, 2014 10:51AM

MOBILE, Ala. — With Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo destined for the big stage of the NFL, the media made sure to clarify a few things about him while he sat on a small stage during Senior Bowl week.

How exactly do you say your name?

“Ga-ra-po-lo,” he said with an affable smile. “It’s usually how most people think.”

Is that a Greek name?

“Italian,” he said, now beaming. “It ends in a vowel.”

So goes the world of Garoppolo. The Rolling Meadows High School graduate was the most valuable player of the East-West Shrine Game on Saturday, and now he’s taking a starring role during Senior Bowl week.

Everyone — from media to scouts to team executives — wants to know everything about him.

The NFL world is gushing over Garoppolo, who, in the last several weeks, has gone from an unknown to a potential late-round pick to a possible second- or third-round selection, in the opinions of some NFL evaluators. His model mechanics, quick release and overall potential are the buzz of the offseason.

◆ ◆ ◆

The Chicago area doesn’t have a rich history of producing NFL quarterbacks. Only nine from the metro area have started an NFL regular-season game since the merger.

“It’s a rare thing,” Garoppolo said.

He just happens to be the next best thing.

With Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron declining to participate in the Senior Bowl, Garoppolo received a late invite after his strong showing in the East-West Shrine game. The NFL wanted to see more with better players around him.

It was a grind going straight from St. Petersburg, Fla., to Mobile — “I’m a little sleep-deprived,” Garoppolo said — but that hasn’t prevented him from turning heads.

“He’s looked really good,” an NFL executive in search of a quarterback said.

The best thing about him?

“He’s got a good release — a great release,” the executive said.

Two weeks in front of the NFL world only has strengthened his case for the draft. He’ll get a chance to show more next month at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“In a job interview for any profession, you want to get face time,” said Daniel Jeremiah, a former NFL scout and current NFL Network analyst. “He’s had an opportunity now to get weeks of face time with the bosses, so to speak, of the NFL. He’s handled himself really well, and he’s helping himself a lot.”

◆ ◆ ◆

For seven years, Garoppolo honed his skills under the tutelage of former NFL quarterback Jeff Christensen, who runs the Throw It Deep quarterback and receiver academy in suburban Lombard.

For Garoppolo, who didn’t play quarterback until his junior year at Rolling Meadows, it was all about establishing a delivery.

“He’s always been an open book,” said Christensen, an Eastern Illinois product who spent time with six NFL teams. “He’s always been willing to absorb and apply.”

Garoppolo might not have generated a ton of Division-I interest at Rolling Meadows. But it didn’t take long for him to develop into a record-setting quarterback at Eastern Illinois, breaking marks set by the Cowboys’ Tony Romo and earning the 2013 Walter Payton Award (top offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision).

“You can’t supersede accuracy,” said Christensen, who has helped develop former Bears quarterback Matt Blanchard. “And [Garoppolo] is incredibly, incredibly accurate, and that’s the key.

“He’s an NFL starting quarterback.”

Garoppolo, whom Bears general manager Phil Emery scouted this past season at EIU, thanks a lot of people for his rise. It starts with his parents, Tony and Denise, and being part of a football-playing family with three brothers, Tony Jr., Mike and Bill.

Then there’s Christensen — who compares Garoppolo’s delivery to Tom Brady’s and Aaron Rodgers’ — and former EIU coach Bob Spoo and longtime assistant Roy Wittke for their honest recruiting approach. He also appreciates the system and approach former EIU coach Dino Babers (now at Bowling Green) provided the last two seasons.

He never has regretted going to EIU.

“We’re just so happy for him,” Tony Garoppolo said. “It’s all about him.”

◆ ◆ ◆

Garoppolo will tell you he has to improve many things, starting with his footwork. Five- and seven-step drops are foreign to him after playing in a shotgun system in college.

But the Jaguars’ staff, which is coaching the South team, doesn’t have any complaints.

“His footwork is pretty good,” Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said. “He throws with a nice base and good feet. It’s pretty neat to see. You can see his release, which is a nice benefit for him.”

There will be a number of quarterbacks who will go before Garoppolo in the draft, starting with Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel and Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater.

But scouts are convinced that Garoppolo will be a good one, too.

“He’s got some really special qualities,” said Shawn Zobel, the editor of draftheadquarters.com, who has privately worked for multiple NFL teams.

“Mechanically, he’s about what you look for. Everybody going into the NFL needs some fine-tuning here or there, but in terms of an Eastern Illinois quarterback, he’s far more developed than you’d expect for an FCS quarterback.

“To me, he’s the dark horse of this year’s NFL class. Down here, he flashes the ability to be a top quarterback. I think he’s on his way to being a second- or third-round pick when all is said and done.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
Twitter: @adamjahns

http://www.suntimes....-garoppolo.html
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

This guy has the look.

Posted Image
BTW that wasn't the senior bowl, that was the East/west shrine game. The senior bowl is happening this week.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Fixed

GAROPPOLO

#4 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

http://draftbreakdow...see-state-2013/

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users