NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop game vs packers MNf next
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) we did give up a 18 point lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) so we fucked up and lost
bleedsgreen Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) True
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) time to get ready for MNF
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) Well it sucks when you start to feel the jets are going to lose the game them selves
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) the Vick play worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) that run on 3rd and 5 worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) chris Johnson also I don't know what his numbers were but ivory seemed to be a better back
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) Marty just picks the worse time to call those wildcat plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) they are drive killers
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:27 PM) Problem is the corners. We knew this before the start of the season. I was amazed at how well they did last week and the first half but eventually the weakness showed
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:28 PM) The corner positions will be addressed next year. Technically we are still in a rebuilding phase.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:39 PM) we did go toe to toe against a SB contender and we really shouldn't be heartbroken but if you call yourself a JETS fan and aren't a little pissed over a W that we had in our control then you need to go and hand in your JETS gear ... I'm looking at you 115
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:24 PM) 18 penalties in 2 games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:25 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:27 PM) Geno dropped from #1 to #28 in TOTAL QBR
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:10 PM) Cutler just got popped right in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:11 PM) that was a squared up right in the middle of the chest hit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:13 PM) nice one handed catch by Marshall
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) NFL rules state that only the head coach can call a timeout on the sidelines…

Except in Green Bay where anybody up to the third row can call a timeout.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) I love NFL memes
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) Well I will be at the game next Monday night
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) So I will be doing everything I can to help our team win!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 September 2014 - 10:15 AM) 2nd year in a row we should be 2-0
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 12:17 PM) TIMEOUT!!
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:05 PM) SPIDER Y 2 BANANA
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:44 PM) FIRE IDZIK
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:54 PM) Eagles need to START SANCHEZ abandon the foles ship
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM) Good morning
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM) FIRE IDZIK
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) The title race is REAL
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) Liverpool wtf pk minute 90
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) 05 probably doing an air guitar
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 04:34 PM) How was milber?
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 09:25 PM) Milber for prez
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:57 AM) santana you've ruined this site
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:01 PM) Cool you should share your thoughts in a post
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:02 PM) Round up the guys and be like hey we hate this guy so what can we do to fix what's broken
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:05 PM) meh no thanks, everyone else is fine. i just hop on every now and then
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:07 PM) Enjoy your stay then
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:09 PM) Seems like the jets could be without decker for a while
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:03 PM) UEFA TIME
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:03 PM) Mawae 2015 Hof for sure
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) Jeromeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jetsrule1006 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:50 PM) The real question is why isn't #68 jersey retired
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Nfl World Is All Abuzz About Eastern Illinois Qb Garoppolo East west shrine game stand out

#1 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

NFL world is all abuzz about Eastern Illinois QB Garoppolo
ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter January 21, 2014 10:24PM

Updated: January 22, 2014 10:51AM

MOBILE, Ala. — With Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo destined for the big stage of the NFL, the media made sure to clarify a few things about him while he sat on a small stage during Senior Bowl week.

How exactly do you say your name?

“Ga-ra-po-lo,” he said with an affable smile. “It’s usually how most people think.”

Is that a Greek name?

“Italian,” he said, now beaming. “It ends in a vowel.”

So goes the world of Garoppolo. The Rolling Meadows High School graduate was the most valuable player of the East-West Shrine Game on Saturday, and now he’s taking a starring role during Senior Bowl week.

Everyone — from media to scouts to team executives — wants to know everything about him.

The NFL world is gushing over Garoppolo, who, in the last several weeks, has gone from an unknown to a potential late-round pick to a possible second- or third-round selection, in the opinions of some NFL evaluators. His model mechanics, quick release and overall potential are the buzz of the offseason.

◆ ◆ ◆

The Chicago area doesn’t have a rich history of producing NFL quarterbacks. Only nine from the metro area have started an NFL regular-season game since the merger.

“It’s a rare thing,” Garoppolo said.

He just happens to be the next best thing.

With Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron declining to participate in the Senior Bowl, Garoppolo received a late invite after his strong showing in the East-West Shrine game. The NFL wanted to see more with better players around him.

It was a grind going straight from St. Petersburg, Fla., to Mobile — “I’m a little sleep-deprived,” Garoppolo said — but that hasn’t prevented him from turning heads.

“He’s looked really good,” an NFL executive in search of a quarterback said.

The best thing about him?

“He’s got a good release — a great release,” the executive said.

Two weeks in front of the NFL world only has strengthened his case for the draft. He’ll get a chance to show more next month at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“In a job interview for any profession, you want to get face time,” said Daniel Jeremiah, a former NFL scout and current NFL Network analyst. “He’s had an opportunity now to get weeks of face time with the bosses, so to speak, of the NFL. He’s handled himself really well, and he’s helping himself a lot.”

◆ ◆ ◆

For seven years, Garoppolo honed his skills under the tutelage of former NFL quarterback Jeff Christensen, who runs the Throw It Deep quarterback and receiver academy in suburban Lombard.

For Garoppolo, who didn’t play quarterback until his junior year at Rolling Meadows, it was all about establishing a delivery.

“He’s always been an open book,” said Christensen, an Eastern Illinois product who spent time with six NFL teams. “He’s always been willing to absorb and apply.”

Garoppolo might not have generated a ton of Division-I interest at Rolling Meadows. But it didn’t take long for him to develop into a record-setting quarterback at Eastern Illinois, breaking marks set by the Cowboys’ Tony Romo and earning the 2013 Walter Payton Award (top offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision).

“You can’t supersede accuracy,” said Christensen, who has helped develop former Bears quarterback Matt Blanchard. “And [Garoppolo] is incredibly, incredibly accurate, and that’s the key.

“He’s an NFL starting quarterback.”

Garoppolo, whom Bears general manager Phil Emery scouted this past season at EIU, thanks a lot of people for his rise. It starts with his parents, Tony and Denise, and being part of a football-playing family with three brothers, Tony Jr., Mike and Bill.

Then there’s Christensen — who compares Garoppolo’s delivery to Tom Brady’s and Aaron Rodgers’ — and former EIU coach Bob Spoo and longtime assistant Roy Wittke for their honest recruiting approach. He also appreciates the system and approach former EIU coach Dino Babers (now at Bowling Green) provided the last two seasons.

He never has regretted going to EIU.

“We’re just so happy for him,” Tony Garoppolo said. “It’s all about him.”

◆ ◆ ◆

Garoppolo will tell you he has to improve many things, starting with his footwork. Five- and seven-step drops are foreign to him after playing in a shotgun system in college.

But the Jaguars’ staff, which is coaching the South team, doesn’t have any complaints.

“His footwork is pretty good,” Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said. “He throws with a nice base and good feet. It’s pretty neat to see. You can see his release, which is a nice benefit for him.”

There will be a number of quarterbacks who will go before Garoppolo in the draft, starting with Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel and Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater.

But scouts are convinced that Garoppolo will be a good one, too.

“He’s got some really special qualities,” said Shawn Zobel, the editor of draftheadquarters.com, who has privately worked for multiple NFL teams.

“Mechanically, he’s about what you look for. Everybody going into the NFL needs some fine-tuning here or there, but in terms of an Eastern Illinois quarterback, he’s far more developed than you’d expect for an FCS quarterback.

“To me, he’s the dark horse of this year’s NFL class. Down here, he flashes the ability to be a top quarterback. I think he’s on his way to being a second- or third-round pick when all is said and done.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
Twitter: @adamjahns

http://www.suntimes....-garoppolo.html
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

This guy has the look.

Posted Image
BTW that wasn't the senior bowl, that was the East/west shrine game. The senior bowl is happening this week.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Fixed

GAROPPOLO

#4 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

http://draftbreakdow...see-state-2013/

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users