NYJetsFan.com Forums: John Idzik Not Sold On Desean Jackson - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 09:52 AM) He is a good QB and I would love to have him. However IMO our 6 is not good value for us. Not to mention if he hates the idea of LA what is he going to think of NY? Contract situation would have to be worked out prior to trade as well. Extreme long shot to land Rivers. My money says we are more likely to land Brees.
azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 09:53 AM) which is still a very long shot
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:46 AM) he may just hate ownership. LT's comments yesterday was interesting.
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:47 AM) “I personally don’t think so,” Tomlinson said. “I really think this is a situation where Philip Rivers wants to move on. The reason why I think that and the reason why I feel like that is the Chargers have already approached Philip about doing another contract and he declined it. He doesn’t want anything to do with it; he didn’t even want to talk about another contract with the San Diego Chargers. That tells me that he’s thinking about moving on.”

“You never want to trade your franchise quarterback,” Tomlinson said, “that’s never the case. However, in this situation they might have no choice but to do so because I don’t know if Philip [Rivers] wants to be there anymore. I think he’s lost confidence in the organization. He’s seeing a lot of changes going on and the L.A. thing is valid; him not wanting to go to L.A., that is very valid, I can see that. So no, it doesn’t make sense to move on from Philip because he’s a franchise quarterback and he still has three to four very good years left.”
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:47 AM) missed the LA line. nvm. guess that is a legit concern.
Mr_Jet Icon : (21 April 2015 - 03:57 PM) He doesn't want to play for a franchise based in Los Angeles, but he'd be okay with playing for one based in New York City?
azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 04:28 PM) That's the point we have all been making.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:05 PM) Jets vs colts Monday night week2
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:09 PM) Jets open at home against the browns
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:52 PM) Week 5 Bye after the London Game against the Dolphags
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM) Rivers is likely going to Tennessee. Would LOVE to have him here but we likely won't make the trade. I'd easily give this year and next year
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM) 's first rounder for him
azjetfan Icon : (22 April 2015 - 11:03 AM) IMO that's a steep price. I would swap this years first and a conditional 1st next year. Assuming we make the AFC Championship. That would be a 28-32nd pick. Otherwise a second.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 01:07 PM) Yes 2 1st is a lot
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 01:10 PM) draft is next week, pumped
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:02 PM) What are thoughts on getting a RB in round 1? McShay's newest mock has us taking Gurley at 6. I don't think we should take him that high, but if we trade down and he's available I'd love to snag him, ACL and all. He's got an unreal skill set that, once healthy, will translate readily to the NFL. We're not getting a QB this year without paying a king's ransom, and unless we pay a ransom for a top guy I say ignore QB. I don't want us to take a Hundley or Petty type in the 2nd or 3rd round when we need other pieces (edge rush, OL)
azjetfan Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:09 PM) We can probably get Gordon in the second. I would pass at 6. If QB is not available a pass rusher will be. Our biggest needs are QB Pass rusher and Oline.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:34 PM) any thourghts on shane ray? i see a lot of mocks have us drafting him
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:35 PM) last one i seen had us taking cooper, a RB, and hundley for our 1st 3 picks. not thrilled about that
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:38 PM) I don't like Gordon much. Not much of a receiver or blocker, ball security issues, tries to bounce outside too much, stuffed frequently. Gurley is in a league of his own
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:39 PM) Ray is pretty highly regarded. I'm betting he, Dupree, and Gregory will be our best options as well as edge rushers at 6, but I think that's too high for any of them
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:43 PM) Personally love Cooper, I know WR isn't our biggest need but he may be the most NFL ready guy in the Draft. If we stick to the 6th pick and Fowler, Beasley, and Mariota are gone, Cooper is the guy to get. I'd even take him over Beasley
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) i don't mind cooper. decker isn't number 1 IMO and marshall is expensive and getting old
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) and we never draft a WR high
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) but o-line and QB are huge needs. i wouldn't take o-line 6th overall, but i think our 2nd or 3rd should be o-line
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:46 PM) we need an OLB as well. if we don't land a QB i'd like to see OLB adn O-line with 2 of our top 3 picks
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:16 PM) I agree on Deck, not a true #1 and he's had a checkered history with injuries. Marshall has 2, maybe 3 productive years left, which is why Cooper is an option
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:17 PM) And I agree with you on edge rusher & OL being bigger needs, but there really isn't a lineman I'd take at 6
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:19 PM) So the way I see it, assuming Winston and Mariota are taken when we're at 6, that Fowler and Cooper are our best choices, and I'd be stunned if Fowler drops. I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if we land Cooper
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:47 PM) Apparently Tennessee wanted both of Cleveland's #1's and their 2nd rounder to move up to the #2 spot to get Mariota. Still think two 1st rounders are too much for Rivers? He makes us instant contenders and if we make a deep playoff run, it would really be this year's 1st and what equates to basically a 2nd rounder next year.
If not, get Cooper in the 1st and then grab Hundley in the 2nd and O-line in the 3rd.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:05 PM) I wouldn't be upset with Cooper, hes a stud
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:06 PM) Not sure about Ray. Dupree is rising on the draft boards, ridiculously athletic for his size
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:07 PM) Dupree is 6'4 270 and has a amazing get off and runs a 4.5
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM) Problem is he doesn't have big sack numbers in college, I rather draft a productive guy high
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM) Vic Beasley is insanely athletic as well and was hugely productive in college, good bet is that Beasley will be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:12 PM) Beasley should be a stud but he gets caught up hand fighting if he doesn't beat his guy quickly. He'll likely end up as an OLB but we'll see
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:15 PM) He'd be a good fit in our defense, because we could use that speed guy on the outside
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:27 AM) I'd love Rivers, but we should be able to get him without paying 2 first rounders
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:29 AM) Lot of buzz about Dupree going top 10, most mocks I see have us getting either Ray or Dupree at 6. I prefer Dupree, like you said insane athlete for his size
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:30 AM) I like Beasley as well but I have a strong feeling Washington will snag him. But he is a small dude, it'd be nice if he'd add some bulk (in Clemson reportedly played around 230)
Chaos Icon : (23 April 2015 - 10:11 AM) @ArifHasanNFL

.@LanceZierlein says on http://sports790.com that Shane Ray will need surgery on foot, 5 months recovery. "Could drop out of first"
Chaos Icon : (23 April 2015 - 10:14 AM) this should change up the top 10
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 12:16 PM) Damn that's big. If he drops out of round 1 that could be a massive bargain for whoever gets him round 2. Dupree now looks more like the edge rusher we'd get at 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:40 PM) TEH RANGERS
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:32 PM) TEH WIZ
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

John Idzik Not Sold On Desean Jackson

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,113
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

DeSean Jackson may appear to be a good fit for the Jets, but the one person who has the authority to sign Jackson seems unconvinced.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has publicly acknowledged the team’s interest, but according to ESPN.com, when the Jets had internal discussions about acquiring Jackson, Idzik wasn’t swayed.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was the Eagles’ offensive coordinator for five of Jackson’s six seasons in Philadelphia, and according to the report Mornhinweg is vouching for Jackson by saying he’d be a good fit both in the offense and in the locker room. But Mornhinweg doesn’t have any say on personnel matters, and Idzik doesn’t appear to be convinced that Jackson is someone the Jets should want.


Although the Jets have plenty of cap space, they’ve generally shied away from being big spenders this offseason. And now it looks like they won’t spend big to bring Jackson to New York.

Washington appears to be the early favorite to land Jackson, solely based on the fact that Washington is the one place we know Jackson will visit. How that visit plays out on Monday will determine whether other teams jump into the Jackson sweepstakes, but from all indications Idzik isn’t interested in making New York Jackson’s next stop.

Quote


Posted Image
0

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,130
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I know he has declined any gang relations but it still strikes me as odd they cut their best WR over $10 million a year. They are not in cap hell. As much as we need more talent on offense I am ok with the wait and see on him at this point.however if this turns out to be a bogus story and we missed on a great WR for money my patience with Idzik may wear thin.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   jet-man Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 196
  • Joined: 04-September 05

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

whatever the case, the good news is the draft has wr depth.
marquise lee
brandin cook
kelvin Benjamin
martavious Bryant
devante adams
r. landry
o. beckham jr.
0

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,753
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 30 March 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

DeSean Jackson may appear to be a good fit for the Jets, but the one person who has the authority to sign Jackson seems unconvinced.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has publicly acknowledged the team’s interest, but according to ESPN.com, when the Jets had internal discussions about acquiring Jackson, Idzik wasn’t swayed.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was the Eagles’ offensive coordinator for five of Jackson’s six seasons in Philadelphia, and according to the report Mornhinweg is vouching for Jackson by saying he’d be a good fit both in the offense and in the locker room. But Mornhinweg doesn’t have any say on personnel matters, and Idzik doesn’t appear to be convinced that Jackson is someone the Jets should want.


Although the Jets have plenty of cap space, they’ve generally shied away from being big spenders this offseason. And now it looks like they won’t spend big to bring Jackson to New York.

Washington appears to be the early favorite to land Jackson, solely based on the fact that Washington is the one place we know Jackson will visit. How that visit plays out on Monday will determine whether other teams jump into the Jackson sweepstakes, but from all indications Idzik isn’t interested in making New York Jackson’s next stop.


I'm honestly so over Izdik and his stupidity. SO your OC wants him, Your QB you just signed for 5 million has a good rapport with him and wants him. Your coach wants him, your owner wants him. You have to spend like another 20 mil by NFL rules and he is sitting there with his pen up his ass. He really comes off like a smug a-hole who will cut of his nose to spite his face.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,130
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 31 March 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm honestly so over Izdik and his stupidity. SO your OC wants him, Your QB you just signed for 5 million has a good rapport with him and wants him. Your coach wants him, your owner wants him. You have to spend like another 20 mil by NFL rules and he is sitting there with his pen up his ass. He really comes off like a smug a-hole who will cut of his nose to spite his face.


There is more to this story that we don't know. If Andy Reid did not want him as his former HC and the Eagles released him there is some serious questions to be answered.
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,157
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 31 March 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm honestly so over Izdik and his stupidity. SO your OC wants him, Your QB you just signed for 5 million has a good rapport with him and wants him. Your coach wants him, your owner wants him. You have to spend like another 20 mil by NFL rules and he is sitting there with his pen up his ass. He really comes off like a smug a-hole who will cut of his nose to spite his face.


He doesn't have to spend another $20M this year and Idzik seems to be 100% committed to building through the draft. The leftover cap space can be carried over to next year and be used to extend the key D guys next year - Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison. The Eagles cut DJax and the Chiefs passed on him. If that isn't a red flag to you, I don't know what is. With the amount of WR talent available in the draft this year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pass on DJax and draft Cooks or Beckham to get a similar caliber player with a better attitude and a very team friendly contract.
0

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,130
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostChaos, on 31 March 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

He doesn't have to spend another $20M this year and Idzik seems to be 100% committed to building through the draft. The leftover cap space can be carried over to next year and be used to extend the key D guys next year - Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison. The Eagles cut DJax and the Chiefs passed on him. If that isn't a red flag to you, I don't know what is. With the amount of WR talent available in the draft this year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pass on DJax and draft Cooks or Beckham to get a similar caliber player with a better attitude and a very team friendly contract.

The biggest intrigue to me with D-Jax is that he is a top tier player. He would fill a hole we have now allowing us to draft a CB in round 1 if one is there. Having this many holes going into the Draft is a bit concerning. However if what the speculation is right about D-Jax I dont blame Idzik about passing on him. Also I think Idzik is still thinking of this as a wildcard at best year. When you look at how much teams like the Pats and Broncos did in FA, It is hard to say we will be able to compete even with D-Jax and DRC. I can see he is sticking to his guns with the "long term plans" or "Substainable Success".
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,113
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

The Jets have the lowest cash payroll in the NFL. You can't expect to hit on all 12 draft picks.
Posted Image
0

#9 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,140
  • Joined: 04-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boca Raton, FL

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 31 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

The Jets have the lowest cash payroll in the NFL. You can't expect to hit on all 12 draft picks.

Given the jets draft history, I would be thrilled if they hit on half of their picks!
0

#10 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,157
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Quote

@Edwerderespn: Re: @DeseanJackson10: We know Skins interested; expect Panthers, Raiders and Jets involvement. Have been told Saints, Packers, Pats are out

0

#11 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 274
  • Joined: 08-August 12

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

I had to get on here because I knew 115 would be giving up on the Jets if they don't sign Jackson. Dude probably owns a half dozen of his jersies.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me


Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.
0

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,753
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 31 March 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I had to get on here because I knew 115 would be giving up on the Jets if they don't sign Jackson. Dude probably owns a half dozen of his jersies.


No, everytime i buy a jersey of a player, they leave in 1-2 years. no lie. last 2 jerseys i brought were revis and sanchez. and look both gone.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,467
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

I agree with the assessment that he isn't worth taking a chance on regardless of skill.

First Philly flat out releases one of the best receivers in the game. That says something.

Next.....


Andy Reid believes in second chances.

Bringing in Vick after his prison sentence and with all the people that had sheer hate for Vick by maybe half the country for what he had done to those dogs and Read is a dog lover himself. That is a huge testament to a coach believing in second chances.

And yet Reid wants absolutely nothing to do with Jackson? That right there speaks volumes. Other teams see this and realize the skill isn't worth the problems that come with the receiver.

So 115 if you cant see this clear writing on the wall in this instance you are an idiot. You would rather chance one problem receiver with major baggage being brought in and possibly destroying the locker room or at the very least causing constant problems just because he has skill????? If Reid doesn't want him Jackson is not worth the trouble. The Chiefs certainly need receivers big time.
0

#14 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,753
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 01 April 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

I agree with the assessment that he isn't worth taking a chance on regardless of skill.

First Philly flat out releases one of the best receivers in the game. That says something.

Next.....


Andy Reid believes in second chances.

Bringing in Vick after his prison sentence and with all the people that had sheer hate for Vick by maybe half the country for what he had done to those dogs and Read is a dog lover himself. That is a huge testament to a coach believing in second chances.

And yet Reid wants absolutely nothing to do with Jackson? That right there speaks volumes. Other teams see this and realize the skill isn't worth the problems that come with the receiver.

So 115 if you cant see this clear writing on the wall in this instance you are an idiot. You would rather chance one problem receiver with major baggage being brought in and possibly destroying the locker room or at the very least causing constant problems just because he has skill????? If Reid doesn't want him Jackson is not worth the trouble. The Chiefs certainly need receivers big time.


really? your comparing when reid was desperate for a QB the single most important position in football and a talent like vick was there to a WR? and its not like KC has a major need at WR. they did kick ass last year with a decent WR group. I mean we did the same for edwards and holmes and it gave us enough offense to almsot make the SB 2 years in a roe. edwards became a leader and a great guy despite his stupid DUI mistake and holmes was an idiot i'll admit, but for the 1st 2 years he made out offense run much better. And then there was cro, who we took a chance on and he paired with revis for the best CB duo and made 2 pro bowls for us and turned his life around and has become a much better person. Everybody speaking out right for jacksan has said he's a great guy, does charity work, has no gang relations etc. Fukcing ray lewis killed people and got away with it, and everyone here wanted us to sign him. Irvin cut his teammate with a pair of scissors but was still a top WR all time and helped dallas win super bowls. TO got kciked off several teams but still helped his teams win.

I'm sorry but your crazy to think jackson wouldn't be a big help to this team.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users