NYJetsFan.com Forums: Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (29 July 2014 - 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 03:56 PM) only 39 days 20 hours and 3 min to go till the JETS kick off the season on Sept 7th at 1pm against the Oakland Raiders
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 03:59 PM) Amaro practiced today in full pads
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:21 PM) 42 Days 39 min till Sons Of Anarchy FINAL SEASON starts
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:42 PM) Amaro has a lingering sore tendon
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:43 PM) I've read that hes been up and down so far
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:44 PM) Dexter McDougle has been looking really good
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:44 PM) Oday Aboushi might end up starting on the OL, hes been doing good at LG
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 July 2014 - 08:46 PM) FIRE IDZIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (29 July 2014 - 11:41 PM) VICK=$$$$$$
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:24 AM) Everyone knows that Vick = $$
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:03 PM) I do it all
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:03 PM) North to south east to the west
JSOTF Icon : (Today, 03:50 AM) Greetings from Germany!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 2,996
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Quote

With 12 picks, Jets have the flexibility to trade up

The Jets have 12 picks in next week’s NFL draft, tied with the Rams for the most of any team, and as a result they think they can be big players in the trade market.

“The nice thing about having 12 picks is it does give you flexibility and maneuverability within the draft,” Jets G.M. John Idzik said. “So if you have fewer picks, I guess you’re less apt to do that.”

In addition to their own seven picks, the Jets have the Buccaneers’ fourth-round pick from the Darrelle Revis trade, and they have four compensatory picks. Compensatory picks can’t be traded, but the presence of those picks makes it easier for the Jets to justify packaging some of their other picks to move up from No. 18 in the first round.

“Having 12 picks is certainly nice to have. We don’t mind picking them all, and it also gives us a little maneuverability in the draft,” Idzik said.

Whether they use all 12 picks or package some together to trade up, the Jets should be a much more talented team 10 days from now than they are today.


http://profootballta...ty-to-trade-up/
0

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,885
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would be more suprised if we don't trade up than if we sit where we are. I dont see us trading up in the first because of the point structure but getting a 2nd 2nd rounder if there is a player we like I could see. I also am still standing with my opinion if one of the three CBs are around when we pick #1 we will take him. Then we may even trade back up into the 1st or early 2nd to get a WR. Tons of possibilities.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,985
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Too many holes to trade up in the first. We need to get a few starters from this draft class. We need another starting WR, starting TE, starting CB, maybe starting safety, and then we could use depth on the OL and at LB.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is online   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think WR/TE/CB are our first 3 picks. In that order
0

#5 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,256
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,885
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.

I think its very possible. If we go WR and TE in the first two rounds I could see a trade for a corner. Or if we go CB then WR maybe a TE. Who knows but I do see us trading. I am sure we wont have 12 draft picks to sign.
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 2,996
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: 2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

0

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,381
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.
0

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,885
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 577
  • Joined: 30-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NV
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.


You are correct. People still think that patriots are great at drafting players because they snagged Brady in round 6 a decade ago. In fact if u take Brady off that team they would be pretty awful right now. Every impact player other than Brady is a free agent acquisition( other than gronk who can't stay on the field)
0

#11 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 2,996
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

0

#12 User is online   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Unless it's for Watkins, no thanks on trading up! Stay put and go BPA or trade down .
0

#13 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,381
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html
0

#14 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,536
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

We'll likely go BPA once again but if it seems like we're down to only 1 of the top 5 guys we want seeming to be taken in the next 2 or 3 picks, we could move up. I just think that with the depth of this draft, there's no reason to move up. There's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder will be a quality starter and we've got plenty of holes to fill.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,885
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html


What I am saying is they have not been draft guru's. They have not drafted better than the average team. The lucked out on a once in a generation QB and have a good but overated HC. The two most important positions. I agree with the more swings you get the more likely you are to get a hit but keep in mind you are also more likely to get better hits in the first 3 rounds. 4-7 is a crap shoot. I like our position in he draft. We have alot of ammo to move up or down to get players we feel strongly about. "Cant wait!" till tomorrow
Posted Image
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users