NYJetsFan.com Forums: Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
Jetsfan115 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:36 PM) Oh well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:21 AM) I think IK shows potential as a pass rusher
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) If the new HC goes to a 4-3 it will be interesting to see if Couples can play on the end.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) he's probably better as a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 LBer anyway
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) we'd need another DT though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:12 PM) Rex to atlanta rumors swirling about
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) Who should be my 2 starters at WR for my fantasy. Championship game. It's between AJ Green, Djax, and Mike Evans. I have Hilton too but I think colts will sit him this week
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:36 PM) I'm thinking Djax and Evans. I don't think the match up with green vs Denver
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:37 PM) I have Ingram, Lamar Miller, and Lacy as my RBs and flex
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) green and desean pretty much the same risk reward
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) lock evans in and play the matchup for the other spot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) also might snow in denver mnf i would keep an eye on that
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:48 PM) Good thinkin! I think I'm going to play djax. I like the match up better
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:09 PM) Atlanta would be a good landing spot for REx. He'll have Matt Ryan there so no need to develop a QB and he'll make the defense better
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 03:54 PM) He's not a good hc. He'll struggle anywhere.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

With 12 picks, Jets have the flexibility to trade up

The Jets have 12 picks in next week’s NFL draft, tied with the Rams for the most of any team, and as a result they think they can be big players in the trade market.

“The nice thing about having 12 picks is it does give you flexibility and maneuverability within the draft,” Jets G.M. John Idzik said. “So if you have fewer picks, I guess you’re less apt to do that.”

In addition to their own seven picks, the Jets have the Buccaneers’ fourth-round pick from the Darrelle Revis trade, and they have four compensatory picks. Compensatory picks can’t be traded, but the presence of those picks makes it easier for the Jets to justify packaging some of their other picks to move up from No. 18 in the first round.

“Having 12 picks is certainly nice to have. We don’t mind picking them all, and it also gives us a little maneuverability in the draft,” Idzik said.

Whether they use all 12 picks or package some together to trade up, the Jets should be a much more talented team 10 days from now than they are today.

http://profootballta...ty-to-trade-up/

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would be more suprised if we don't trade up than if we sit where we are. I dont see us trading up in the first because of the point structure but getting a 2nd 2nd rounder if there is a player we like I could see. I also am still standing with my opinion if one of the three CBs are around when we pick #1 we will take him. Then we may even trade back up into the 1st or early 2nd to get a WR. Tons of possibilities.
Posted Image

#3 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Too many holes to trade up in the first. We need to get a few starters from this draft class. We need another starting WR, starting TE, starting CB, maybe starting safety, and then we could use depth on the OL and at LB.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think WR/TE/CB are our first 3 picks. In that order

#5 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.

I think its very possible. If we go WR and TE in the first two rounds I could see a trade for a corner. Or if we go CB then WR maybe a TE. Who knows but I do see us trading. I am sure we wont have 12 draft picks to sign.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

@RapSheet: 2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.

You are correct. People still think that patriots are great at drafting players because they snagged Brady in round 6 a decade ago. In fact if u take Brady off that team they would be pretty awful right now. Every impact player other than Brady is a free agent acquisition( other than gronk who can't stay on the field)

#11 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

@RapSheet: Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

#12 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Unless it's for Watkins, no thanks on trading up! Stay put and go BPA or trade down .

#13 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.

The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html

#14 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

We'll likely go BPA once again but if it seems like we're down to only 1 of the top 5 guys we want seeming to be taken in the next 2 or 3 picks, we could move up. I just think that with the depth of this draft, there's no reason to move up. There's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder will be a quality starter and we've got plenty of holes to fill.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.

The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html

What I am saying is they have not been draft guru's. They have not drafted better than the average team. The lucked out on a once in a generation QB and have a good but overated HC. The two most important positions. I agree with the more swings you get the more likely you are to get a hit but keep in mind you are also more likely to get better hits in the first 3 rounds. 4-7 is a crap shoot. I like our position in he draft. We have alot of ammo to move up or down to get players we feel strongly about. "Cant wait!" till tomorrow
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users