NYJetsFan.com Forums: Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Azjetfan is the nyjetsfan #1 pick
Chadforpresi... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:25 AM) I thought Collins said we'll withdraw if not picked by day 2
Chadforpresi... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:25 AM) But yeah hard to deny the value in getting Petty round 4
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:26 AM) i did not expect him or hundley to still be there past round 3 on thursday
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:26 AM) so picking him up is great
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:30 AM) I want to be the first person to say it. "Broadway Bryce"
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:30 AM) imagine being a jaguars super fan haha
Chadforpresi... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:37 AM) Damn Vikes got Clemmings, in round 4 he's worth it
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:28 PM) Can we get a post with the selections
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:40 PM) It's tough to do with iPad but I'll get one started
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:01 PM) Jay Ajayi ?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:02 PM) Maybe a Tyrus Thompson?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) Phi a took Ajaji
Smedsthejet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:33 PM) Some depth on the line with the Harrison pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) I read the scouting report for Harrison, the scout said he has probowl talent but has a work ethic concern.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:10 PM) Who the hell is Bryce petty
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:20 PM) Tom Pettys brother
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:22 PM) Jets should take Collins with one of their 7th rounders if there
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:22 PM) He has more upside for a 7th rounder than anyone else
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:22 PM) He can start right away at RT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:29 PM) He said he won't sign
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:32 PM) so he doesn't want to be drafted?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:33 PM) If Collins doesn't get drafted, he can't enter next years draft. He can only if he is drafted and sits out. So I guess he has to go undrafted
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) going undrafted makes the most sense for collins
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) but for teams, drafting him and dealing with his holdout makes more sense
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:19 PM) Zac Stacy was traded to us for our 7th
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:21 PM) Jets also drafted a NT with our other 7th
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:21 PM) 6'4 330 DL who is very strong
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:25 PM) zac stacy for a 7th
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:25 PM) well can't complain about that
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 04:29 PM) So we have 4 rbs now
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:31 PM) still would have rather taken a runner on collins but i can't complain with depth
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:32 PM) i mean they can't expect to carry 4 rb though no?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:50 PM) Collins would have been a waste. He would not have signed. At least we have something to show for our pick. Worst case scenario is we trade or release one of our backs.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:56 PM) I know it's hard to tell without seeing a win loss record yet but this regime seems really on point.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:56 PM) For the first time in my life I can say I feel comfortable with the people making the decisions.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:57 PM) I was close with Parcells but he seemed like a short term fixer and didn't care about the long term
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:57 PM) SUCK FOR THE DUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:57 PM) .......oh wait
santana Icon : (Today, 01:13 AM) Well that was a disappointment
Chadforpresi... Icon : (Today, 01:24 AM) I like getting Stacy for our 7th rounder, assuming he can handle the fact he won't be a feature back (yikes)
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:31 AM) I like the trade, hes a quality back and adds more depth to our backfield
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:32 AM) Macc has pretty much killed it this offseason
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:32 AM) He has turned this roster around, he has added talent and competition all over.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:33 AM) We still aren't great at QB, but our overall football team is good. We have a realistic shot at making a playoff run
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:33 AM) We may have the best defense in football. We have a great DL and secondary, that is gonna be tough on offenses when you can stop the run, pressure the QB, and blanket the receivers
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,158
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Quote

With 12 picks, Jets have the flexibility to trade up

The Jets have 12 picks in next week’s NFL draft, tied with the Rams for the most of any team, and as a result they think they can be big players in the trade market.

“The nice thing about having 12 picks is it does give you flexibility and maneuverability within the draft,” Jets G.M. John Idzik said. “So if you have fewer picks, I guess you’re less apt to do that.”

In addition to their own seven picks, the Jets have the Buccaneers’ fourth-round pick from the Darrelle Revis trade, and they have four compensatory picks. Compensatory picks can’t be traded, but the presence of those picks makes it easier for the Jets to justify packaging some of their other picks to move up from No. 18 in the first round.

“Having 12 picks is certainly nice to have. We don’t mind picking them all, and it also gives us a little maneuverability in the draft,” Idzik said.

Whether they use all 12 picks or package some together to trade up, the Jets should be a much more talented team 10 days from now than they are today.


http://profootballta...ty-to-trade-up/
0

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,139
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would be more suprised if we don't trade up than if we sit where we are. I dont see us trading up in the first because of the point structure but getting a 2nd 2nd rounder if there is a player we like I could see. I also am still standing with my opinion if one of the three CBs are around when we pick #1 we will take him. Then we may even trade back up into the 1st or early 2nd to get a WR. Tons of possibilities.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,115
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Too many holes to trade up in the first. We need to get a few starters from this draft class. We need another starting WR, starting TE, starting CB, maybe starting safety, and then we could use depth on the OL and at LB.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 164
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think WR/TE/CB are our first 3 picks. In that order
0

#5 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,277
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,139
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.

I think its very possible. If we go WR and TE in the first two rounds I could see a trade for a corner. Or if we go CB then WR maybe a TE. Who knows but I do see us trading. I am sure we wont have 12 draft picks to sign.
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,158
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: 2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

0

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,467
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.
0

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,139
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 597
  • Joined: 30-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NV
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.


You are correct. People still think that patriots are great at drafting players because they snagged Brady in round 6 a decade ago. In fact if u take Brady off that team they would be pretty awful right now. Every impact player other than Brady is a free agent acquisition( other than gronk who can't stay on the field)
0

#11 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,158
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

0

#12 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 164
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Unless it's for Watkins, no thanks on trading up! Stay put and go BPA or trade down .
0

#13 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,467
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html
0

#14 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

We'll likely go BPA once again but if it seems like we're down to only 1 of the top 5 guys we want seeming to be taken in the next 2 or 3 picks, we could move up. I just think that with the depth of this draft, there's no reason to move up. There's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder will be a quality starter and we've got plenty of holes to fill.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,139
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html


What I am saying is they have not been draft guru's. They have not drafted better than the average team. The lucked out on a once in a generation QB and have a good but overated HC. The two most important positions. I agree with the more swings you get the more likely you are to get a hit but keep in mind you are also more likely to get better hits in the first 3 rounds. 4-7 is a crap shoot. I like our position in he draft. We have alot of ammo to move up or down to get players we feel strongly about. "Cant wait!" till tomorrow
Posted Image
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users