NYJetsFan.com Forums: Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

FANTASY FOOTBALL SIGN UP: http://nyjetsfan.com...ndpost&p=357345
RetireChrebet Icon : (13 August 2016 - 12:16 PM) I agree. Trade Genome
RetireChrebet Icon : (13 August 2016 - 12:18 PM) trade Geno, take anything you can get for him, even if it's a 7th round pick. The future is Petty or Hack. If not draft another QB in a couple years.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (13 August 2016 - 12:21 PM) what team would want a QB who got suckerpunched by a 3rd stringer last year in training camp
azjetfan Icon : (13 August 2016 - 05:03 PM) The Cowboys may trade a player or a pick for Geno. With Romo being brittle and them having zero depth I could see them giving something.
azjetfan Icon : (13 August 2016 - 05:04 PM) I'm really not an anti Geno guy though. If he can mature he can play in this league. He has the physical talents but lacks the drive.
santana Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:06 PM) I doubt anyone trades for geno
santana Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:07 PM) jets would get like a 6th rounder for him his value would be better on the bench
Chaos Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:25 PM) yes, yes, let's cut the former 9th overall pick because he had a poor preseason game and deal with a no good $4M cap hit.
Chaos Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:26 PM) who would you sign to be #2? or do you seriously think petty is good for the job?
santana Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:37 PM) the backup is always ready for the job is the jets fan mantra
santana Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:46 PM) I need a backup
santana Icon : (13 August 2016 - 06:46 PM) WHERES MY BACKUP
vjdbbq Icon : (15 August 2016 - 07:52 AM) Would someone scratch bobrob42 ?
ROBJETS Icon : (16 August 2016 - 03:33 AM) Az..... Apparently you didn't watch the Cowboys preseason game. Romo didn't play and their current backup played a good bit with starters and backups and he looked great. Almost like a veteran. They would have 0 interest in trading for Geno now.
vjdbbq Icon : (16 August 2016 - 01:57 PM) ROB is back ; ,how's the ass ?
Chaos Icon : (18 August 2016 - 12:18 PM) we need 1 more for fantasy football!
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2016 - 06:27 PM) game stream http://ifirstrowus.e...-york-jets.html
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 07:06 PM) defense is playing like shit
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:00 PM) Geno still sucks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:08 PM) Petty 9/15 120 yards and a TD
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:27 PM) Sudfeld sucks 2 fumbles
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:28 PM) petty had then in the red zone going for the go ahead score
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:31 PM) OK we at the wash 42
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:32 PM) WOOOO TD!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:32 PM) f*** you Geno. Lets keep Petty
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:40 PM) Petty 15/24 230 yards and 2 TDs
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:40 PM) Geno 6/13 1Int
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:46 PM) BOOOO we lose
santana Icon : (20 August 2016 - 09:29 AM) I was at the game and I thought fitz looked like crapola
vjdbbq Icon : (21 August 2016 - 01:01 PM) You were looking at GENO !!!!!!!!!!!
santana Icon : (21 August 2016 - 02:24 PM) you have a crush on geno don't you
santana Icon : (21 August 2016 - 02:24 PM) it's ok
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2016 - 07:10 PM) WTF is taking so long to cut geno and milliner
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2016 - 07:10 PM) they both are bums and need to go away
Chaos Icon : (22 August 2016 - 08:29 AM) it makes zero sense to cut them.
Chaos Icon : (22 August 2016 - 08:30 AM) this isn't fantasy. cutting players has an impact on the cap.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 August 2016 - 10:20 AM) becuase we need them
Chaos Icon : (23 August 2016 - 11:25 AM) DRAFT UPDATE:

Date: Tuesday August 30, 2016
Time: 8:00 pm
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 August 2016 - 02:20 PM) cap stuff http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38899
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:20 AM) All the Sanchez fans saying he finally has good receivers so he will play well will probably finally have your eyes opened. Looking like he will likely be cut from the Broncos by the end of preseason. He already lost his starting job to the backup and the rookie qb is playing decent too
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:21 AM) Sanchez isn't starting this week and may not play at all
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:22 AM) SOURCE: NFL LIVE yesterday
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:24 AM) 3 turnovers and one td in 2016 preseason
santana Icon : (Today, 07:20 AM) he will probably start until week 4 lol hes their geno smith
santana Icon : (Today, 07:20 AM) https://youtu.be/f7FZ04xFa2Q
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Will The Jets Be Draft Day Traders?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,189
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Quote

With 12 picks, Jets have the flexibility to trade up

The Jets have 12 picks in next week’s NFL draft, tied with the Rams for the most of any team, and as a result they think they can be big players in the trade market.

“The nice thing about having 12 picks is it does give you flexibility and maneuverability within the draft,” Jets G.M. John Idzik said. “So if you have fewer picks, I guess you’re less apt to do that.”

In addition to their own seven picks, the Jets have the Buccaneers’ fourth-round pick from the Darrelle Revis trade, and they have four compensatory picks. Compensatory picks can’t be traded, but the presence of those picks makes it easier for the Jets to justify packaging some of their other picks to move up from No. 18 in the first round.

“Having 12 picks is certainly nice to have. We don’t mind picking them all, and it also gives us a little maneuverability in the draft,” Idzik said.

Whether they use all 12 picks or package some together to trade up, the Jets should be a much more talented team 10 days from now than they are today.


http://profootballta...ty-to-trade-up/
0

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,195
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would be more suprised if we don't trade up than if we sit where we are. I dont see us trading up in the first because of the point structure but getting a 2nd 2nd rounder if there is a player we like I could see. I also am still standing with my opinion if one of the three CBs are around when we pick #1 we will take him. Then we may even trade back up into the 1st or early 2nd to get a WR. Tons of possibilities.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,137
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Too many holes to trade up in the first. We need to get a few starters from this draft class. We need another starting WR, starting TE, starting CB, maybe starting safety, and then we could use depth on the OL and at LB.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think WR/TE/CB are our first 3 picks. In that order
0

#5 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,294
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,195
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 05 May 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

If we are to be draft day traders, what are the chances we move later picks for veterans? Seattle have been quite prolific at that, with the likes of Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington and Charlie Whitehurst acquired that way, while they moved Matt Flynn for some late round selections too. Last year we picked up Ivory for a fourth rounder during the draft and it's fair to say it was a pick well spent.

In terms of moving up in the first round, I don't see the Jets doing that considering the number of holes we need to fill. Plus, with the quality supposedly on offer in this year's first round, I don't see the front office being too upset if they miss out on say Ebron, Dennard or Beckham.

I think its very possible. If we go WR and TE in the first two rounds I could see a trade for a corner. Or if we go CB then WR maybe a TE. Who knows but I do see us trading. I am sure we wont have 12 draft picks to sign.
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,189
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: 2 teams pondering trading up for a WR: #49ers & #Jets. Beckham, Cooks, Lee possible targets. For SF, move into teens more likely than Top 5.

0

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,527
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.
0

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,195
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Id rather they didn't trade up unless the GM is sure the guy they are trading up for is going to produce.

How many times over the years did the Patriots trade down to get more draft picks? That strategy has worked out pretty well for them and yet no one else is doing the same thing.

I like the fact that the Jets have 12 picks. I'm not saying they should trade down but certainly I wouldn't be against getting even more draft picks. I doubt all the picks would be busts.

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 619
  • Joined: 30-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NV
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has it? Who did they draft with those picks? From ost of what I have read they have drafted pretty poorly over the past decade or so.


You are correct. People still think that patriots are great at drafting players because they snagged Brady in round 6 a decade ago. In fact if u take Brady off that team they would be pretty awful right now. Every impact player other than Brady is a free agent acquisition( other than gronk who can't stay on the field)
0

#11 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,189
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Quote

@RapSheet: Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

0

#12 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 13-December 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Unless it's for Watkins, no thanks on trading up! Stay put and go BPA or trade down .
0

#13 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,527
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html
0

#14 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,664
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

We'll likely go BPA once again but if it seems like we're down to only 1 of the top 5 guys we want seeming to be taken in the next 2 or 3 picks, we could move up. I just think that with the depth of this draft, there's no reason to move up. There's never a guarantee that a 1st rounder will be a quality starter and we've got plenty of holes to fill.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,195
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostROBJETS, on 06 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I could point out many players that have worked out for them but what's the point? It takes more than a qb to take a team to the playoffs every single year. They might not have a team full of standout stars but they are good enough to make it the post season year after year and put up good records and beat some good teams. They may not have won the Bowl in a while but they either make it there and lose or get close so their draft picks are good enough overall. Maybe not for a Bowl win but enough to be successful.


The fact is that it comes down to math and logic. More picks mean greater chance of more of them panning out. And by the way.....when I said trade down I meant if they can't get a high value potential prospect. Sometimes it's better to trade down a few spots and pick up another pick along with it. Possibly a second, third, or fourth.

You guys scoff at this way of thinking but I guess these guys in this article are morons for having the same way of thinking that I do???

I just found this a few minutes a go when looking over articles about the draft. It's nice to see experts thinking the same way about more draft picks as opposed to giving up draft picks.

http://www.nj.com/je...od_players.html


What I am saying is they have not been draft guru's. They have not drafted better than the average team. The lucked out on a once in a generation QB and have a good but overated HC. The two most important positions. I agree with the more swings you get the more likely you are to get a hit but keep in mind you are also more likely to get better hits in the first 3 rounds. 4-7 is a crap shoot. I like our position in he draft. We have alot of ammo to move up or down to get players we feel strongly about. "Cant wait!" till tomorrow
Posted Image
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users