NYJetsFan.com Forums: 50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
santana Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) This isn't congress
santana Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) this is srszz bizness
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) MGG FOR MOD IN 15!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) YES
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 12:49 PM) so do we beat the pats or just let them get the easy win
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 01:57 PM) At this point I am all about ruining their chance for home field.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 December 2014 - 02:15 PM) FIRE IDZIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 December 2014 - 02:24 PM) O we will win
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 December 2014 - 02:24 PM) Rex will end his last game in metlife with a bang
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 02:44 PM) bang bang!
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 03:25 PM) You know Rex will dial up some crazy packages for Brady. He probably has that D-line all riled up already.
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 03:44 PM) Riled up to get Fired up
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:19 PM) Connor Cook from MI State is projected to go in the middle of the first round.
Mr_Jet Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:48 PM) Cook is not ready for the NFL.
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:50 PM) Lol cook??
Mr_Jet Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM) I think very highly of Connor Cook. But if he is projected to go in the first round of the 2015 draft, this is going to be a very weak draft.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 December 2014 - 05:02 PM) Connor Cook is going back to school..
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) Lol school??
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 06:31 PM) I don't know anything about him but he was projected by two different mock drafts to go to the Texans
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 December 2014 - 08:20 PM) Woody Johnson favorited a tweet about firing Idzik lol
jetfan4life12 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:15 AM) woody better fire that ass clown if he wants fans to attend games next season. He messed the whole thing up by hiring a GM without letting him choose the coach. He likely was told no by the top 20 candidates and stuck himself with is dick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 AM) yup, I don't trust Idzik to make good use of our top draft pick or sign quality FAs. Or hire our next HC
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 AM) I want a new GM and HC
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:54 AM) Should I go Vincent Jackson or Jarvis Landry as my WR3?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
Resize Shouts Area

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Fifty Senators send letter pushing NFL to change Redskins name

http://profootballta...-redskins-name/

It’s one thing for a random politician to speak out about the Redskins name or another to muse about the possibility of changing it on a popular national radio and TV show. It’s quite another for 50 members of the United State Senate — FIFTY — to sign a letter to the NFL urging action on the name of the franchise owned by Daniel Snyder.

FIFTY.

Via the New York Times, nearly half of the legislative body wants the name to be changed.

“The NFL can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur,” the letter says. “We urge the NFL to formally support a name change for the Washington football team. . . . We urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports.”

How significant is it that so many Senators signed off on the letter?

“Listen, it is hard to get 50 people in this place to agree on anything,” Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) said.

The issue broke, as so many of these issues do, along party lines; all but five of the Senate’s Democrats signed the letter and no Republicans did. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine of Virginia, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Joe Donnelly of Indiana, and Mark Pryor of Arkansas abstained.

“The intent of the team’s name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image,” the league said in a statement issued to the Times. “The name is not used by the team or the NFL in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently.”

And that’s the heart of the dilemma the NFL currently faces. At some point in the past year, the NFL and the franchise have conceded that reasonable minds may differ on whether the name “Redskins” is a slur. Does the league want one of its teams to carry a name on which a fair debate exists and lingers regarding whether the name represents blatant and open racism?

For the NBA, swift and decisive action was taken in response to comments made privately by Sterling. For the NFL, the problem continues to hide in plain sight.

The best argument in support of change comes from the reality that, if the NFL were forming a team now, there’s no way it ever would be dubbed the “Redskins.” It continues only because of its past. At some point in the future, the present will prevail.

Dan Snyder needs to stop being a pain about this issue and change the name.

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

I dont really care either way to be honest.

“Listen, it is hard to get 50 people in this place to agree on anything,” Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) said.

Not when it can only help you get votes.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostChaos, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

Dan Snyder needs to stop being a pain about this issue and change the name.

Has he given up on trying to bribe the Native-American tribes he visited on his "listening tour"?

It's just a matter of time before that name is finally changed. Now it's only a matter of time before somebody chimes in with that inevitable "shouldn't they be focused on more important things" post.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#4 User is offline   Roger Vick Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

Washington Palefaces

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostRoger Vick, on 23 May 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Washington Palefaces

White skins
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Roger Vick Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

They could keep the Redskins name, but just change the logo to a sunburned Irishman.

#7 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:12 AM

When Goodell runs out of 100$ bills in his bathroom I hope he takes this letter and whipes his ass with it. Politicians need to stay the f*** out of sports.

#8 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

View PostRetireChrebet, on 24 May 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Politicians need to stay the f*** out of sports.

Why should they? What the f*** makes sports so special that it is above reproach?

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#9 User is offline   bleedsgreen Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

What I don't get is why are the chiefs not under fire as well
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

View Postbleedsgreen, on 24 May 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

They will be eventually but Redskin is a derogatory name. Once this battle is won the squeaky wheels will be on the prowl out of boredom.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 24 May 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

Why should they? What the f*** makes sports so special that it is above reproach?

Hmm perhaps because they are Politicians and should stick to their so called area of expertise (politics). This country is so soft now it makes me sick, maybe we should just rename all teams by color. We can have the blue team, red, yellow, black, white oh wait that'll offend some as well. I realize government is necessary in certain areas of sports, like stadiums, health care ect but I can do away with all the posturing and grandstanding. Funny, the elections are coming up soon, coincidence..? This will be a non topic following November. While the rest of the country is worried about offending people with tattoos, hoodies and team logos I'll be in the other room avoiding the idiots.

#12 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

View Postbleedsgreen, on 24 May 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

The word Chiefs is not exclusive to Native-American culture. The argument can be made that there are tribal chiefs in Africa too for example. Just like with the word "Warriors" is not exclusive to Native-Americans. But even the Kansas City Chiefs have at least changed their logo from a half naked chief running with a tomahawk. To just a arrowhead with the letters K and C in it.

But really if you met a group of Native-American tribal chiefs, what are you going to call them? Chiefs or redskins? I mean if you can't see the difference between those two words then I can't help you.

#13 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostRetireChrebet, on 24 May 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Hmm perhaps because they are Politicians and should stick to their so called area of expertise (politics). This country is so soft now it makes me sick, maybe we should just rename all teams by color. We can have the blue team, red, yellow, black, white oh wait that'll offend some as well. I realize government is necessary in certain areas of sports, like stadiums, health care ect but I can do away with all the posturing and grandstanding. Funny, the elections are coming up soon, coincidence..? This will be a non topic following November. While the rest of the country is worried about offending people with tattoos, hoodies and team logos I'll be in the other room avoiding the idiots.

Oh so it's just because of the elections? Because its not like we were talking about this very issue last year when there was no major national elections that year.

Members Of Congress Urge Redskins To Change Name

No this isn't about "politicians should stick to their so called area of expertise". Whatever the hell that means since it is politicians/elected officials responsibility to address the concerns of ALL its people. Not just the folks who don't feel offended and are tired of political correctness. Because God forbid we take the thoughts and views of other people who we don't know and don't see everyday into consideration. Really why should these tribal organizations and these politicians get involved in this? Keeping a sports team's nickname is MUCH more important than the views of a group of people who were once 100% of the population of this land to now just being 1% of the population. I guess robbing, raping, and murdering their ancestors wasn't enough. Now we have to continue to disrespect them by still having a professional franchise in the year 2014 still called the "Redskins".

Shit, Redskins wasn't even the team's original name. They were called the Braves originally. It was their former owner George Preston Marshall who changed the name from Braves to Redskins. The same George Preston Marshall who BTW was the last NFL owner to integrate his team in the 1960s. And had to be forced to integrate because POLITICIANS in the Kennedy administration used their influence to force him to integrate.

#14 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 24 May 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Oh so it's just because of the elections? Because its not like we were talking about this very issue last year when there was no major national elections that year.

Yea your right all those politicians only think about their image and votes the year of the election.m :hysterical:/>
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 25 May 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yea your right all those politicians only think about their image and votes the year of the election.m :hysterical:

He was the one that said the only reason they're talking about it THIS YEAR was because it's an election year. I just pointed out that this was also a topic of discussion last year. But I'm sure that 1% of Native-American votes these politicians are trying to get is really going to make a big difference on election day. :rolleyes:

I guess one side is pandering to the Native-American vote by trying to get Washington, D.C.'s NFL team to change its name. While the other side is busy talking about presidential birth certificates Obamacare a Hillary/Monica connection Benghazi to motivate their base to get out and vote this year.

#16 User is offline   Roger Vick Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Don't change it. If the Native Americans don't like it, they can get the hell out of our country.

#17 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Rebuttal letter from Bruce Allen:

http://files.redskin...bruce-allen.pdf

#18 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 25 May 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

Rebuttal letter from Bruce Allen:

http://files.redskin...bruce-allen.pdf

Pretty PC letter.this is not over though. It's gonna get ugly.cant wait
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostRoger Vick, on 25 May 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Don't change it. If the Native Americans don't like it, they can get the hell out of our country.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and hope that was sarcasm
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

The thing I find the most interesting about that P.R. letter, is in the body of the letter they refer to Native-American people as "Native-Americans". Look at the last line of that letter. "We hope you will join us; Native Americans deserve our support." NOT "We hope you will join us; redskins deserve our support."

Olbermann pointed it out on his show. Daniel Snyder and his employees (like Bruce Allen) call the Native-Americans "Native-Americans" and not "redskins". Hmmm, I wonder why? Why doesn't Snyder refer to the Native-Americans he's now trying to buy off as "redskin" or "redskins".

I mean if it's not an offensive word (which he claims it's not), why not call them "redskins" in that letter or when he's talking to the press? I'd love to see Snyder go to these reservations with ESPN cameras and meet the people that live there and call the people he meets there "redskins". Right to their faces in front of the media. Then we'll see how long that name remains after all the backlash. I mean they should be okay with it right? They shouldn't be offended by it.

I think even Snyder knows it's only a matter of time now, considering how much attention this issue has gotten in just the past year. The name will eventually be changed in the next few years. It's inevitable.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users