NYJetsFan.com Forums: 50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) yeah he's really poor at coming out, timing, all of it
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) but as a shot stopper hes incredible
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) Ramos is out i believe
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) I like varane but hes doubtful also
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) yeah Pepe and Varane at the back for Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) ITS GONNA BE GUD 05
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) Arbeloa(LFC former player) and Marcelo
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) nervous
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) i gotta shower then i'm running down to the bar
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
Resize Shouts Area

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name

#61 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 02 June 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I think it being over your head is pretty sufficient, actually (and it really isn't a bad thing...just is what it is). What it comes down to is that racism today really affects us a lot more than you think and there are things that happened in the past that still affect us today. I'm not just singling out slavery here as I believe that things from such events as 9/11 and the Holocaust (among numerous others) affect us presently as well. As I said I don't feel like citing a whole bunch of things and going into detail because you're going to reject them right off the bad and say that whatever I say/present isn't credible. I don't feel like going through that rodeo. All I'll say is if you (not you specifically, more universally) believe that certain ethnic groups today are not affected by racism/issues of the past then you really have your head in the ground.

I guess what I am asking is
Do black people as a whole feel whites are racist? Or maybe do they just feel whites view them as inferior?
Posted Image

#62 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

I guess what I am asking is
Do black people as a whole feel whites are racist? Or maybe do they just feel whites view them as inferior?

Been reading these comments and opinions, some are facts and some are a bunch of poops. All in all, I find them interesting because this can be used for my students in computer classes. These conversations/arguments are hard to debate in person but can easily online because of questions you asked. I don't see it as a problem asking those questions but to some they'll see it as you're being ignorant to society and it's culture meaning that you cannot see, read nor hear what one's feeling within themselves when dealing with everyday life whether it be from slavery, holocaust, 9/11 or any history that have taken place that affect the entire culture/race/ethic.

#63 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

View Postblk_orion, on 03 June 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Been reading these comments and opinions, some are facts and some are a bunch of poops. All in all, I find them interesting because this can be used for my students in computer classes. These conversations/arguments are hard to debate in person but can easily online because of questions you asked. I don't see it as a problem asking those questions but to some they'll see it as you're being ignorant to society and it's culture meaning that you cannot see, read nor hear what one's feeling within themselves when dealing with everyday life whether it be from slavery, holocaust, 9/11 or any history that have taken place that affect the entire culture/race/ethic.

I agree I am ignorant to what black people feel. How could I not be? But asking questions and having an open line where we can talk about it can only help. I normally do whatever I can to aggrivate Mr. Jet but not right now. I will reserve that for later :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#64 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but can you elaborate on how you feel slavery affects you today?

American blacks feel as if there's a generational bias against them. They accept that 4 or 5 generations ago, their ancestors weren't allowed to step up to the socio-economic ladder. Therefore, they are starting behind the people who have the advantage of piggy backing on the success of prior generations. Caribbean blacks & Africans have no such qualms. In fact, those communities are very different in terms of how they view their place in America. Whereas "African Americans" think that the system is rigged against them, recent immigrants from the "black" diaspora still view America as the land of opportunity.

Edit: I'm being very very general of course. There are plenty of Caribbean Americans who have joined radical movements that are associated with anti white.

#65 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 03 June 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

American blacks feel as if there's a generational bias against them. They accept that 4 or 5 generations ago, their ancestors weren't allowed to step up to the socio-economic ladder. Therefore, they are starting behind the people who have the advantage of piggy backing on the success of prior generations. Caribbean blacks & Africans have no such qualms. In fact, those communities are very different in terms of how they view their place in America. Whereas "African Americans" think that the system is rigged against them, recent immigrants from the "black" diaspora still view America as the land of opportunity.

Edit: I'm being very very general of course. There are plenty of Caribbean Americans who have joined radical movements that are associated with anti white.

Do you think this feeling would stop black people from applying for entry level jobs in professional settings? Or jobs that they would qualify for in professional settings. If so what could a company do to encourage minorities?
Posted Image

#66 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

Over my head may be a wrong use of words but there are plenty of successful black people out there. Why are they able to do it? I'm not trying to start a war here. I understand there is a culture difference. Do black folks feel white people as a whole are racist? From my experience whites are more indifferent. They don't care one way or another. Of course there are always some that will be idiots like any group but as a whole I don't see it.

What is the definition of successful though? A person's wealth, a person's influence, a person that provides for them and their family? I wouldn't equate success with wealth. I can't speak for the entire black community, but I will say from my own experiences and from the things I've learned along the way on this topic. I don't at all believe that most white people are racist. I agree that most are indifferent to racial issues...and that's the problem.

IMO most white people would rather ignore the issue of racism altogether and tell themselves it doesn't exist anymore. Black people can now sit in the front of the bus, they have a national holiday for MLK, and they have BET now. So everything is fair now. Right? Then of course when a black person starts talking about race issues and racism, we get accused of "playing the race card" or "being stuck in the past" or being "too sensitive". I believe the "race card" accusation is mostly used by some white people to squash any discussion about racism. Because I believe that most white people think that blatant racism is the only type of racism there is. Meaning the only white racists that exist are the ones who are in the KKK or is a neo-Nazi. But I don't think that most white people acknowledge the systemic racism that is still a problem today. Things like redlining by real estate companies to keep black people from moving into certain areas. Denying or making it extra difficult for black business owners to get loans. Things like voter disfranchisement where they are trying to make it more difficult for people who live in highly populated areas to able to vote (voter ID, less early voting, less voting machines, less polling places etc.). Giving stricter jail sentences to black offenders than to white offenders who do the same crime. Making it more difficult for black ex-offenders to find a job after they're released. The amount of debt a black college student have to go into just to get a B.A. compared to their white classmates. Making it more difficult for black students to buy a house and start a family after they graduate. The differences in the quality of K-12 education in black and white communities. This gap makes black kids less prepared for college and less likely to get admitted to certain colleges. Especially now considering how affirmative action has been demonized over the last 30 years. The wide gap in income levels between whites and minorities is still a major problem. So if things were truly equal in the U.S. the last 50 years, these problems would not still exist today. So I agree with you that most white people are indifferent to this issue and they are the ones that worry me more than the blatant racist. At least with the blatant racist you know where they stand, it's the ones that choose to ignore racism and act like everything is good now that worry me.

You might find this article I saw the other day interesting. It talks about the type of racism I think is still a problem today.

Racism Impacts Small Business Loan Applicants
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#67 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

What is the definition of successful though? A person's wealth, a person's influence, a person that provides for them and their family? I wouldn't equate success with wealth. I can't speak for the entire black community, but I will say from my own experiences and from the things I've learned along the way on this topic. I don't at all believe that most white people are racist. I agree that most are indifferent to racial issues...and that's the problem.

IMO most white people would rather ignore the issue of racism altogether and tell themselves it doesn't exist anymore. Black people can now sit in the front of the bus, they have a national holiday for MLK, and they have BET now. So everything is fair now. Right? Then of course when a black person starts talking about race issues and racism, we get accused of "playing the race card" or "being stuck in the past" or being "too sensitive". I believe the "race card" accusation is mostly used by some white people to squash any discussion about racism. Because I believe that most white people think that blatant racism is the only type of racism there is. Meaning the only white racists that exist are the ones who are in the KKK or is a neo-Nazi. But I don't think that most white people acknowledge the systemic racism that is still a problem today. Things like redlining by real estate companies to keep black people from moving into certain areas. Denying or making it extra difficult for black business owners to get loans. Things like voter disfranchisement where they are trying to make it more difficult for people who live in highly populated areas to able to vote (voter ID, less early voting, less voting machines, less polling places etc.). Giving stricter jail sentences to black offenders than to white offenders who do the same crime. Making it more difficult for black ex-offenders to find a job after they're released. The amount of debt a black college student have to go into just to get a B.A. compared to their white classmates. Making it more difficult for black students to buy a house and start a family after they graduate. The differences in the quality of K-12 education in black and white communities. This gap makes black kids less prepared for college and less likely to get admitted to certain colleges. Especially now considering how affirmative action has been demonized over the last 30 years. The wide gap income levels between whites and minorities is still a major problem. So if things were truly equal in the U.S. the last 50 years, these problems would not still exist today. So I agree with you that most white people are indifferent to this issue and they are the ones that worry me more than the blatant racist. At least with the blatant racist you know where they stand, it's the ones that choose to ignore racism and act like everything is good now that worry me.

You might find this article I saw the other day interesting. It talks about the type of racism I think is still a problem today.

Racism Impacts Small Business Loan Applicants

I guess everyone's definition of success will vary. I generally agree with most of what you are saying. Let's talk about your comment on being unprepared. Do you feel black grads feel they are unprepared? Would that stop them from pursuing opportunities? When they get the opportunity are they less likely to negotiate salary and total compensation for fear of losing the chance?
Posted Image

#68 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I guess everyone's definition of success will vary. I generally agree with most of what you are saying. Let's talk about your comment on being unprepared. Do you feel black grads feel they are unprepared? Would that stop them from pursuing opportunities? When they get the opportunity are they less likely to negotiate salary and total compensation for fear of losing the chance?

I think that many black kids are under-prepared for college because they've constantly trying to catch up from birth to the 12th grade. Now here we get to a point where you just can't point to systemic racism alone. It is certainly a part of the problem, but the value we put on education within our community is a problem also. I think within the black community (and in other minority communities) there is a stigma that if you do too well in school and you get good grades, then you're "trying to be white". At a very early age we equate being smart to being white and being well spoken to talking white. Doing anything academically well is perceived as trying to be white. I'm talking about K-12 here, not so much in college I don't think. So a black kid could be ostracized by his/her peers because they "act too white" in school. So yeah, I think many black children enter college academically behind their white peers. That could lead to them having less confidence (for lack of a better word) when they enter the workforce. If I was advising a black person who was starting out working in a prominently white company/organization, just entering the workforce after college. I'd tell them to probably take less money than they should, take less than they'd pay a white person. At least get your foot in the door. It's sad but your pride won't pay your bills. But keep on looking for other opportunities because you're likely going to hate your job and yourself if you stay there for too long. They're already taking advantage of you if they're going to pay you less and make you their token black employee. I'd tell them don't negotiate for a higher salary early on. But if you're there for a few years and your not getting paid more and not moving up the ladder, then it's time to look for another job. Don't let them walk all over you...not for too long at least. That's what I'd tell a young minority or poor white person entering the workforce after college.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#69 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

I think that many black kids are under-prepared for college because they've constantly trying to catch up from birth to the 12th grade. Now here we get to a point where you just can't point to systemic racism alone. It is certainly a part of the problem, but the value we put on education within our community is a problem also. I think within the black community (and in other minority communities) there is a stigma that if you do too well in school and you get good grades, then you're "trying to be white". At a very early age we equate being smart to being white and being well spoken to talking white. Doing anything academically well is perceived as trying to be white. I'm talking about K-12 here, not so much in college I don't think. So a black kid could be ostracized by his/her peers because they "act too white" in school. So yeah, I think many black children enter college academically behind their white peers. That could lead to them having less confidence (for lack of a better word) when they enter the workforce. If I was advising a black person who was starting out working in a prominently white company/organization, just entering the workforce after college. I'd tell them to probably take less money than they should, take less than they'd pay a white person. At least get your foot in the door. It's sad but your pride won't pay your bills. But keep on looking for other opportunities because you're likely going to hate your job and yourself if you stay there for too long. They're already taking advantage of you if they're going to pay you less and make you their token black employee. I'd tell them don't negotiate for a higher salary early on. But if you're there for a few years and your not getting paid more and not moving up the ladder, then it's time to look for another job. Don't let them walk all over you...not for too long at least. That's what I'd tell a young minority or poor white person entering the workforce after college.

The first section of your post scares me. I don't want to seem smart because my friends may view me as white. Isn't that racism in its own way? Why would a company like Wells Fargo have a lot of minority applicants but a smaller financial like regional size have issues trying to encourage minorities to apply. Especially black people. All within the same region. Say Great Lakes area. So Wi MN IL and the U.P.?
Posted Image

#70 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

The first section of your post scares me. I don't want to seem smart because my friends may view me as white. Isn't that racism in its own way? Why would a company like Wells Fargo have a lot of minority applicants but a smaller financial like regional size have issues trying to encourage minorities to apply. Especially black people. All within the same region. Say Great Lakes area. So Wi MN IL and the U.P.?

Is that racist? Maybe. But of course the entertainment industry's portrayal of black people doesn't help matters either. They help perpetuate these stereotypes. That's why we have some white people who immerse themselves in black culture (mostly from what they get from the entertainment industry) who actually have the audacity to tell educated black people that they (the white person) are more "black" than the black person is. A few young white men in the past have actually said that to me to my face. That was the one and only time they said that to me though. It's a very complex issue and everybody is probably responsible to some degree. In regards to the Great Lakes region, I know a lot of my college educated peers (whites and blacks) since high school have left the Great Lakes region altogether. They either joined the military after high school and never came back here. Or they went to college here and then moved to the south or out west after they graduated. Keeping college educated people of all races here in Michigan has been a problem for years now.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#71 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

I think many black children enter college academically behind their white peers.

Isn't that due to affirmative action? If you lessen the requirements for a certain group, they will play down to the lowest common denominator. If you require 1300 SAT scores for entry into a college but then have a quota that will result in you accepting 10% of applicants scoring in the 900 range, that 10% will not be on par with their peers... hence their lower test scores.

#72 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

So if a Wisconsin company only gets about 2 percent of new black applicants when the state population is 6.8 percent why is that. Granted the black population is very dense in Milwaukee and very thin in other areas. Even in Milwaukee the application rate is well below 6.8 percent. I am speaking about a wide variety of positions from entry level to Sr. Positions. What would a company need to do to increase that number. This same company has had great success with Hispanic applicants with not putting any real effort towards it.
Posted Image

#73 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Some ideas that have been pushed around are changing Marketing collateral from a white couple to mixed race. Attending job fairs in communities with a denser black population. The goal would be to have at least one black and one Hispanic person in each retail location. Some of the areas may not have much if any of a presence of any particular minority so they may be exempt. Since said Company typically tries to promote from within first the entry level positions would be nice for people fresh out of school of even with no college. The basic thought process is people like to do business with people they feel comfortable with. Recent surveys found race and sex are two huge indicators. This would increase market share.
Posted Image

#74 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 04 June 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

So if a Wisconsin company only gets about 2 percent of new black applicants when the state population is 6.8 percent why is that. Granted the black population is very dense in Milwaukee and very thin in other areas. Even in Milwaukee the application rate is well below 6.8 percent. I am speaking about a wide variety of positions from entry level to Sr. Positions. What would a company need to do to increase that number. This same company has had great success with Hispanic applicants with not putting any real effort towards it.

Look I'm not Mr. Wizard, I don't have all the answers. Especially about things that go on in Wisconsin. When I think of Wisconsin the image of a lot of black people living there isn't something that comes to mind. If a certain area of any state doesn't have a lot of diversity, then there is probably a reason for that. Some of which I mentioned in post #66. What we should remember is black people are 12% of the population and most still live in the south. Also in the last 25 years many black people who were born and raised in the north have moved down to the south. So when you have a low amount of qualified applicants from a small pool to begin with, it should come as no surprise that it is hard to fill positions with people from that small pool. Is this Wisconsin company going down south to some of the HBCU's to recruit qualified African-Americans to apply? Maybe then some of those HBCU graduates would consider moving to Wisconsin if the prospect of finding a good job after graduation was a real possibility. Then they could stay and maybe put down some roots in that area of Wisconsin as well, making that city or area a little more diverse.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#75 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 04 June 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Isn't that due to affirmative action? If you lessen the requirements for a certain group, they will play down to the lowest common denominator. If you require 1300 SAT scores for entry into a college but then have a quota that will result in you accepting 10% of applicants scoring in the 900 range, that 10% will not be on par with their peers... hence their lower test scores.

Nope. You're talking about high school students and their test scores. I'm saying that many black children are already behind before they get to high school, behind before they get to kindergarten. They are playing catch up in many cases from the day they are born. Studies have shown that black kids who go to pre-school before they start kindergarten are better prepared for elementary school. Also things like differences class sizes, school funding, after school programs, curriculum, etc. also effect many black students disproportionately. Some people love to demonize and criticize affirmative action, but if things were truly equal from the beginning of life to high school graduation, there would be no need for affirmative action when it comes to college acceptance. If education is unequal from the beginning, it shouldn't be a surprise when a certain group has lower SAT scores than another later on in school.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#76 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 04 June 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Look I'm not Mr. Wizard, I don't have all the answers. Especially about things that go on in Wisconsin. When I think of Wisconsin the image of a lot of black people living there isn't something that comes to mind. If a certain area of any state doesn't have a lot of diversity, then there is probably a reason for that. Some of which I mentioned in post #66. What we should remember is black people are 12% of the population and most still live in the south. Also in the last 25 years many black people who were born and raised in the north have moved down to the south. So when you have a low amount of qualified applicants from a small pool to begin with, it should come as no surprise that it is hard to fill positions with people from that small pool. Is this Wisconsin company going down south to some of the HBCU's to recruit qualified African-Americans to apply? Maybe then some of those HBCU graduates would consider moving to Wisconsin if the prospect of finding a good job after graduation was a real possibility. Then they could stay and maybe put down some roots in that area of Wisconsin as well, making that city or area a little more diverse.

I am disappointed you are not Mr. Wizard. I also would like to clearify that it is not the low total as much as it is a low ratio. I don't think the lower level positions $12-$15 an hour plus commisions and bonus would make people move from the south. Also we are really looking for people with roots, connections and experience within the communities they live.
Posted Image

#77 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 04 June 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

I am disappointed you are not Mr. Wizard. I also would like to clearify that it is not the low total as much as it is a low ratio. I don't think the lower level positions $12-$15 an hour plus commisions and bonus would make people move from the south. Also we are really looking for people with roots, connections and experience within the communities they live.

Well it's like you said, "people like to do business with people they feel comfortable with". You're not going get much diversity if you only want to deal with people in your comfort zone, especially considering most people feel comfortable with other people who look, act, and think just like they do. You're not going to get much diversity that way. We have a lot of de facto segregation in this country today, especially in the Midwest.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#78 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 04 June 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Well it's like you said, "people like to do business with people they feel comfortable with". You're not going get much diversity if you only want to deal with people in your comfort zone, especially considering most people feel comfortable with other people who look, act, and think just like they do. You're not going to get much diversity that way. We have a lot of de facto segregation in this country today, especially in the Midwest.

That is the chain I am trying to break up. By do business I mean customer/employee not fellow employees. I actually approached a young man who was working at Chipotle and gave him my card. I told him to call me if he was looking for a change. Dude gave awesome customer service, very upbeat, confident without being cocky and solved problems with out even blinking. I am not sure what he though of me but I told him I liked how he handles the problems. He never called. Anyway I will post what I come up with.
Posted Image

#79 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 04 June 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

They are playing catch up in many cases from the day they are born.

So who is the primary source for this? It has to be their immediate environment, right? Before school & class sizes and standardized tests that don't "adequately represent their life experience" it begins at home, no? So it has to be the parents... but then the parent have the same rationale that they were behind from birth, right And so on and so forth until you ultimately end up back on the plantation and it's all whitey's fault, right? That's what I was saying in my first post. Black Americans tend to view themselves as victims of a generational injustice at the hands of basically, the nation.

#80 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 04 June 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

So who is the primary source for this? It has to be their immediate environment, right? Before school & class sizes and standardized tests that don't "adequately represent their life experience" it begins at home, no? So it has to be the parents... but then the parent have the same rationale that they were behind from birth, right And so on and so forth until you ultimately end up back on the plantation and it's all whitey's fault, right? That's what I was saying in my first post. Black Americans tend to view themselves as victims of a generational injustice at the hands of basically, the nation.

I'm not sure to to feel about that post. I will say I agree with Mr. jet that people regardless of race have different opportunities. Coming from a poor family but having grown up in a very wealthy community ( Hilton Head Island, SC) I can say I had to work much smarter/harder than others. Using purely percentages the black race typically starts in a low income environment.
Posted Image

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users