NYJetsFan.com Forums: 50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Today, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
Resize Shouts Area

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

50 Senators Push Nfl To Change Redskins Name

#81 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 05 June 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I'm not sure to to feel about that post. I will say I agree with Mr. jet that people regardless of race have different opportunities. Coming from a poor family but having grown up in a very wealthy community ( Hilton Head Island, SC) I can say I had to work much smarter/harder than others. Using purely percentages the black race typically starts in a low income environment.

I came to this country with my mom, my dad and my very sick grandma when I was a month shy of my 9th birthday. My parents had a whopping $400 in life savings. No one spoke conversational English. We stayed with family who were here for 2 years. We didn't have furniture until we found some in the trash. The reason we came to America was because we dealt with racism. Real racism, not "oh he's looking at me side eyed so he must not like me". My dad was denied employment because of his "nationality". My uncle was fired for fighting a customer who called him a racist slur. Even as a kid in kindergarten, I already started getting bullied because of my "ethnic last name". Thats why I talk and act the way I do on here. I experienced all that shit first hand. I literally came from nothing and had to start WAYYYYY behind everyone because I didn't even know the language. I went from knowing about 30 english words at the start of 4th grade to being the class representative for the 5th grade spelling bee. IDGAF how hard your grandpappie had it, it does not reflect on you unless you let it affect your plan of action.

#82 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 05 June 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

I came to this country with my mom, my dad and my very sick grandma when I was a month shy of my 9th birthday. My parents had a whopping $400 in life savings. No one spoke conversational English. We stayed with family who were here for 2 years. We didn't have furniture until we found some in the trash. The reason we came to America was because we dealt with racism. Real racism, not "oh he's looking at me side eyed so he must not like me". My dad was denied employment because of his "nationality". My uncle was fired for fighting a customer who called him a racist slur. Even as a kid in kindergarten, I already started getting bullied because of my "ethnic last name". Thats why I talk and act the way I do on here. I experienced all that shit first hand. I literally came from nothing and had to start WAYYYYY behind everyone because I didn't even know the language. I went from knowing about 30 english words at the start of 4th grade to being the class representative for the 5th grade spelling bee. IDGAF how hard your grandpappie had it, it does not reflect on you unless you let it affect your plan of action.

I don't think anyone is saying it is impossible. Just that its not a level playing field. The kid who's parents pay for school and expenses will have a huge financial advantage. Their DTI will be significantly less. They will have more expendable cash etc...
Posted Image

#83 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 05 June 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

I don't think anyone is saying it is impossible. Just that its not a level playing field. The kid who's parents pay for school and expenses will have a huge financial advantage. Their DTI will be significantly less. They will have more expendable cash etc...

But now we're talking about class, not race. I don't know economic statistics per group, but I'm sure that percentage wise, there are just as many poor whites as there are poor blacks. Regardless of that, why should the playing field be level? The "playing field" wasn't made to be level. Everyone stacks the deck in their favor, that's the essence of capitalism. "Leveling the playing field" is a nice way of pandering to the lowest common denominator. It will never happen.

#84 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 06 June 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

But now we're talking about class, not race. I don't know economic statistics per group, but I'm sure that percentage wise, there are just as many poor whites as there are poor blacks. Regardless of that, why should the playing field be level? The "playing field" wasn't made to be level. Everyone stacks the deck in their favor, that's the essence of capitalism. "Leveling the playing field" is a nice way of pandering to the lowest common denominator. It will never happen.

I believe the ratios are skewed however I have not done any real research. The information I was trying to get was how do companies get more minorities to apply. The rest was a by product of the conversation. I dont disagree with what you are saying its just not the direction I was trying to go.
Posted Image

#85 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 05 June 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

So who is the primary source for this? It has to be their immediate environment, right? Before school & class sizes and standardized tests that don't "adequately represent their life experience" it begins at home, no? So it has to be the parents... but then the parent have the same rationale that they were behind from birth, right And so on and so forth until you ultimately end up back on the plantation and it's all whitey's fault, right? That's what I was saying in my first post. Black Americans tend to view themselves as victims of a generational injustice at the hands of basically, the nation.

Well you tell me, what was done after the passage of the Civil War amendments (13th, 14th, and 15th) to give the now former slaves equal opportunities in employment and education in America? Black people went right from being treated like a cow or a horse (except when Massa wanted some black pussy or when the Massa's teenage son had to "become a man") to be given citizenship rights. But what happened after reconstruction? 100 years of of still being treated like 2nd class shit. Things weren't much better in the north with the multiple race riots in major cities early in the 20th century. We had black people moving to the north to try to better their lives and northern whites worried about their economic standing and the "negros taking over", so they segregated them to the slums of the cities. Then after World War II, who benefited from the G.I. bill the most? Who went off to college and moved to the suburbs and who were excluded from those communities? Who was able to work in low skill, good paying manufacturing jobs right out of high school to be able to make enough to send their kids to college before those kinds jobs vanished in America? While black people had to spend most of the 20th century fighting for the rights already given to them after the Civil War, poor whites and ethnic white immigrants were able to work and put their children in a position to do better than they (the parents) did. Many of these white children were also able avoid the draft by getting college deferments, meaning blacks were disproportionally sent to go over and fight and die in Vietnam. Making many of them fucked up emotionally and psychologically after the war. But that was okay because not long after the Vietnam War ended, crack debuted in black communities making it easier for them and other black folks to self medicate. And the real entrepreneurs in the community could some make good money too selling that shit to their own people. Today there are plenty of liquor stores and cash in advances places in these communities (more so than in the white neighborhoods) to keep the black folks happy, so why should black people complain.

So tell me at what time since the ratification of the 13th amendment have black people at large had equal opportunities with whites? It sure wasn't in the hundred years after the Civil War. So then we're talking about the last 50 years. What has happened in the last 50 years? Well the good paying, low skilled manufacturing jobs that helped poor and immigrant whites in the early and mid 20th century improve their situations were either made obsolete because of technological advances, lost to outsourcing, or flew to the suburbs along with the white population. We had many whites in major cities opposed (sometimes violently opposed) to school busing in the 1970s and 1980s. We had 20 years of Republican Chief Executives (Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Bush Sr.) between 1969-1993. Executives who did little to nothing to improve upon the civil rights accomplishments of the 50s and 60s. For all the money they spent in those 20 years on military spending to play "who's dick is bigger" with the Soviets, just imagine how many people of all races could have went to college in the 70s and 80s (when credit hours were MUCH cheaper). Reagan's drastic cuts to education programs like the Pell grant program didn't help either. But no, we got the "War on Drugs" instead. Where until just recently a person using or selling crack got a stricter sentence than somebody using or selling powder cocaine. Who did that disproportionally hurt? That isn't an example of racism within the last 30 years?

I'll be the first to acknowledge the problems within the black community caused by black people themselves. But let's not act like in the last 50 years since the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act that we've had an equal playing field. Things are still unequal in income levels between blacks and whites, in the quality of education, and within the judicial system. Why haven't those things been made equal in the last 50 years? It's nice that I'm not a slave. It's wonderful that I can go down south and sit at any lunch counter and not be refused service. It's great that I can look a white woman in the eye and not get lynched. But don't sit there and act like things have been fair and equal between blacks and whites in the U.S. since 1965. But please you tell when in the last 50 years institutional racism didn't exist and black people at large didn't have it effecting their lives.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#86 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 05 June 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Okay when you were a kid did you grow up in a community like this?

What is the "plan of action" for those kids playing basketball in the middle of the day when they should have been in school? Why should they have hope and plans for the future living in a world like that everyday? Okay so they go to their crumbling, outdated, overcrowded school. With their burnt out teachers. Let's say they go to school and get good grades. Let's say they get a great SAT score. Well you tried kids and did good in school despite your surroundings. BUT we can't have things like affirmative action when it comes to college acceptance (it isn't fair to the white kids in the suburbs). So you may not be able to go one of the better schools of your choice because the white kids got better scores than you did (I wonder why), so they'll be going to the top universities. Oh and the college you do end up going to, you're going to have to take out thousands of dollars in student loans to go there. So after you do graduate (IF you find a job after graduation) it will take you longer to start your own business if that was your plan. Oh and forget about trying to start that new business in the community you grew up in because a bank is unlikely to give you a loan to do that. Too risky. So you're better off just trying to find a decent job after college and move out of your neighborhood and don't look back. But how does that help their community if the kids who "made it" are unable to give back to their communities?
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#87 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 06 June 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

LOL, ummmm no.

How does poverty differ across subgroups?

The poverty rate for all persons masks considerable variation between racial/ethnic subgroups. Poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics greatly exceed the national average. In 2010, 27.4 percent of blacks and 26.6 percent of Hispanics were poor, compared to 9.9 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 12.1 percent of Asians.

http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/

For children:
Posted Image

Yes there are more poor non-Hispanic white people in the U.S. that poor black people. BUT when you take each race percentage wise, there is a higher percentage of black people living in poverty than there are white people living in poverty (percentage wise). Black people are around 12% of the total U.S. population but 27% of that 12% lives in poverty. Non-Hispanic whites make up around 63% of the total U.S. population, but just 10% of that 63% lives in poverty.

You're right though. Everybody stacks the deck in their favor. Especially those with money and power, who do everything in their power to make sure they hold on to as much of that money and power as long as they possibly can. They put their children in positions to do the same thing and so on and so on. And who has had most of the money and power for the last 400 years? The last 149 years? The last 50 years? The last 20 years? The last 10 years? Today? Yeah it's really easy to stack the deck in your favor when you're the one that has always dealt the cards for the last 400 years. But I guess stacking the deck in your favor is just one of the perks of being a white male in a capitalist society. Oh damn, there I go playing the race card again.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#88 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 07 June 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Yes there are more poor non-Hispanic white people in the U.S. that poor black people.

Thank you. There are more poor white people than there are poor black people. That is all.

And who has had most of the money and power for the last 400 years? The last 149 years? The last 50 years? The last 20 years? The last 10 years? Today? Yeah it's really easy to stack the deck in your favor when you're the one that has always dealt the cards for the last 400 years. But I guess stacking the deck in your favor is just one of the perks of being a white male in a capitalist society. Oh damn, there I go playing the race card again.

See, the problem is, you're looking at it through black/white. In reality, black people have been pretty much the same for those 400 years while "white" people are continuesly changing. Did you happen to see the program where 50 Cent went to track down the descendants of his ancestor's slave owners? They're all f***ing white trailer trash. These people once were wealthy enough to own human beings! Lets set aside the fact that before Civil War, only about 6% of these mean ass devils even had the means to be slave owners. Lets take into account all the other "white" people that came to the US after the Industrial Revolution and faced their very own racisms. The Irish, the Italians, the Jews... they all came here and lived in shitty ghettos. They couldn't get jobs at first. They all had notorious criminality that resulted from being quarantined in squalor for a generation. How come they rose up out of poverty within one or two generations? Why isn't this the same for the black community? How come the rate of employment is so much higher in Carribbean American communities?

View PostMr_Jet, on 07 June 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Okay when you were a kid did you grow up in a community like this?

What is the "plan of action" for those kids playing basketball in the middle of the day when they should have been in school? Why should they have hope and plans for the future living in a world like that everyday? Okay so they go to their crumbling, outdated, overcrowded school. With their burnt out teachers. Let's say they go to school and get good grades. Let's say they get a great SAT score. Well you tried kids and did good in school despite your surroundings. BUT we can't have things like affirmative action when it comes to college acceptance (it isn't fair to the white kids in the suburbs). So you may not be able to go one of the better schools of your choice because the white kids got better scores than you did (I wonder why), so they'll be going to the top universities. Oh and the college you do end up going to, you're going to have to take out thousands of dollars in student loans to go there. So after you do graduate (IF you find a job after graduation) it will take you longer to start your own business if that was your plan. Oh and forget about trying to start that new business in the community you grew up in because a bank is unlikely to give you a loan to do that. Too risky. So you're better off just trying to find a decent job after college and move out of your neighborhood and don't look back. But how does that help their community if the kids who "made it" are unable to give back to their communities?

I grew up where there were no playgrounds, no welfare checks and no food stamps. No methadone clinics and a much higher rate of corruption among cops. I lived for 15 months in a government apartment that had no hot water intake. Meaning that there was no hot water in the faucets and no heating source for room temperature. Where I'm from temps drop below zero early November and stay there till mid March. Guess what? I went to f***ing school every day. I did my homework. I did everything I was supposed to do, you know why? I didn't have "motivation". I didn't have an inner dialogue with myself on the philosophical merits of schooling. I went because my mom told me I had to. If I didn't, she'd bust my ass. Then my dad would bust my ass. That's why the f*** kids go to school. Ain't a f***ing 13 year old motivated to do a damn thing except jerk off and play video games. That's what responsible parenting is all about. Where are the kids parents in that video? The lady goes "oh who gonna tell them?!" like it's so far fetched to have an authority figure for a teenager. GTFOH. I'm a father and I know for a fact that my son is nobody elses responsibility but mine. If his ass is out playing basketball instead of being in school, that's my f*** up. I did something wrong. Not the cops, not J Edgar Hoover. ME.

But don't sit there and act like things have been fair and equal between blacks and whites in the U.S. since 1965. But please you tell when in the last 50 years institutional racism didn't exist and black people at large didn't have it effecting their lives.

See this is what I don't understand. What the f*** is "fair and equal"? When in life is anything "fair and equal"? A guy born to be 5'4" is gonna have to deal with being shorter than everyone else for the rest of his life. Shit ain't never gonna be "fair and equal" for him. In fact, if you run down the gauntlet of society you'll find more people that have an unequal disadvantage in life. You want to say that there is institutional racism? That black business owners have it harder? That black home buyers have it harder? That black kids have it harder because their parents are out selling 2 for $5 instead of making them go to school? Fine. They have it harder. That doesn't mean that they can't achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. That just means they have to work harder. I worked harder because I didn't speak English until I was about 10. I worked harder because my parents couldn't afford food, let alone clothes for me to go to school in. I work harder because now my dad is disabled, doesn't have a pension and I pay his bills along with my own. So f***ing what? Am I sitting at home pining for my 40 acres and a donkey? No muthafucka. I work harder.

#89 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 09 June 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

Thank you. There are more poor white people than there are poor black people. That is all.

You said "percentage wise" and percentage wise when you compare the two there is a higher percentage of poverty within the black community than in the white community. Yeah there are more poor white people, because there are more white people. That's what it means to be the majority. There are also more rich whites than rich blacks. But you weren't talking about the total population. You were wrong, simple as that.

See, the problem is, you're looking at it through black/white. In reality, black people have been pretty much the same for those 400 years while "white" people are continuesly changing. Did you happen to see the program where 50 Cent went to track down the descendants of his ancestor's slave owners? They're all f***ing white trailer trash. These people once were wealthy enough to own human beings! Lets set aside the fact that before Civil War, only about 6% of these mean ass devils even had the means to be slave owners. Lets take into account all the other "white" people that came to the US after the Industrial Revolution and faced their very own racisms. The Irish, the Italians, the Jews... they all came here and lived in shitty ghettos. They couldn't get jobs at first. They all had notorious criminality that resulted from being quarantined in squalor for a generation. How come they rose up out of poverty within one or two generations? Why isn't this the same for the black community? How come the rate of employment is so much higher in Carribbean American communities?

No. For every 50 Cent's ancestor's slave owners you give, I can cite examples of people who were rich 100 years ago whose descendents are rich today. Like John D. Rockefeller and his great-great grandson Justin Rockefeller. But um....where did you get the idea that the descendents of the owners of 50 Cent's slave ancestors were "all f***ing white trailer trash"? Because I just watched the same program I think you were referring to and the man 50 Cent meets who is a descendent of the people that owned 50 Cent's slave ancestors (Dr. Billy Dunovant) doesn't look like he's slumming it in some trailer park.

But I know you're not trying to equate the racism and struggles the European immigrants who came here during the Industrial Revolution experienced with same type of racism black people experienced during that time. Were the Irish, Italian, and Jewish immigrants who served in World Wars I and II segregated from the WASP soldiers like the black soldiers were? Shit, were Irish and Italian-Americans barred from MLB for almost half of the 20th century and forced to play in their own segregated leagues? When a large number of blacks left the south and moved to cities in the north during this time who do you think felt the most threatened by it? Who was worried that this increasing number of black people in the city meant more competition for jobs and living spaces? That's right, the white ethnic groups like the Irish-Americans. In the 1919 Chicago race riot it was the Irish-Americans who instigated the riot and it was the African-Americans who suffered the brunt of it. Yeah the Irish lived in shitty ghettos in major cities, but they felt like those were THEIR shitty ghettos and they didn't want any damn n****** living there too and taking THEIR jobs and THEIR neighborhoods. Just because the white ethnics and the blacks were both discriminated against by the WASPs, that doesn't mean the white ethnics in the north were nice to black people and treated them as if they were "in this struggle together" or some shit. The white ethnics used what little power and influence they had to keep the black people in the city in their place (like for example the large amount of Irish-Americans on the police forces in major cities). Irish-Americans were also heavily involved in politics and ran the political party machines in some of the major cities.

https://en.wikipedia...ce_Riot_of_1919

Eventually as the 20th century progressed the white ethnics like the Irish, Italians and Jewish were as I said before able to work the low skill but good paying manufacturing jobs (jobs these groups feared blacks would take from them), and make enough to support a family and pay to send their kids to college. Many blacks were not able to work these jobs and if they did they weren't paid the same amount and were kept from moving up the ladder. So they were less likely to afford to be able to send their kids to college. This was the case especially in the south where most black Americans still lived and were mostly still living in severe poverty. By the early 1970s when there were laws FINALLY in place to outlaw discrimination in the work place based on race, those low skill, good paying jobs were leaving the cities. Like I said these jobs either became obsolete, moved out of the country, or to the suburbs with the white people. The white ethnics had the benefit of getting to work those kinds of jobs for most of the 20th century and by the time black people could no longer be excluded from those jobs, white ethnics had basically assimilated into WASP culture and were seen as just as white as the descendents from the Mayflower were. There was also much more intermarriage between white ethnics and WASPs as the 20th century progressed than interracial marriage. The parents of a child in a middle class WASP family would've been more accepting of their child marrying a white ethnic Catholic or a Jewish person, than would've been of their child marrying a black person.

I grew up where there were no playgrounds, no welfare checks and no food stamps. No methadone clinics and a much higher rate of corruption among cops. I lived for 15 months in a government apartment that had no hot water intake. Meaning that there was no hot water in the faucets and no heating source for room temperature. Where I'm from temps drop below zero early November and stay there till mid March. Guess what? I went to f***ing school every day. I did my homework. I did everything I was supposed to do, you know why? I didn't have "motivation". I didn't have an inner dialogue with myself on the philosophical merits of schooling. I went because my mom told me I had to. If I didn't, she'd bust my ass. Then my dad would bust my ass. That's why the f*** kids go to school. Ain't a f***ing 13 year old motivated to do a damn thing except jerk off and play video games. That's what responsible parenting is all about. Where are the kids parents in that video? The lady goes "oh who gonna tell them?!" like it's so far fetched to have an authority figure for a teenager. GTFOH. I'm a father and I know for a fact that my son is nobody elses responsibility but mine. If his ass is out playing basketball instead of being in school, that's my f*** up. I did something wrong. Not the cops, not J Edgar Hoover. ME.

I'm talking about once you got to America. Not life back in the old country. I doubt your life here in America was anything like growing up in Cabrini-Green or the Robert Taylor Homes in the south side of Chicago.

You either fail to realize or you're just choosing to ignore what I'm saying. Great you went to school as a child every f***ing day because your parents made you. Were the class sizes too big? How old was the school? Were there metal detectors in the school because of the constant threat of gun violence? Did you have to step over crack heads on your way to school? How many times were schools closed down in your neighborhood? Were your teachers quickly burnt out or under qualified? How often did you get new textbooks? I see you had both parents in the home, that must of been better than having one parent in the home. I'm guessing your father wasn't constantly in and out of prison or was killed before the age of 30 because of gang violence. I guess you didn't have to cook dinner for you and your siblings while your mom was working a second shift job. Look...we can go back and forth forever over who had it rougher you over in your old country (even though I was talking about AFTER you moved to America) or a black kid from the inner city. YES those kids in that video should have been in school, but the problem is they BELIEVE that their schools are shitty schools and all they'd get from that school is a substandard education. Their parents could drag them to school everyday and sit next to them in class everyday to make sure they go. But just because they go to school everyday does not mean they are going to learn the things they need to know to succeed at the next level. You go to school to learn, not just to go. Like I asked before, what if they did go to school everyday? What are they going to get out of it? They likely would not be prepared to go to college, not on the level of their white counterparts who went to the better schools in the predominately white neighborhoods. If K-12 education isn't equal how can you expect a poor black freshman to do as well as a middle class white freshman? THEY ARE NOT EQUAL! THEY'VE NEVER BEEN! So you shouldn't expect the black college freshman to be able to do anything the white college freshman can do, because the white college kid has ALWAYS had gotten the better education since the first day of kindergarten. It's like Dr. King said, you can't tell bootless man to lift himself up by his bootstraps. You can't expect a kid that has gotten a substandard K-12 education to be prepared for college.

See this is what I don't understand. What the f*** is "fair and equal"? When in life is anything "fair and equal"? A guy born to be 5'4" is gonna have to deal with being shorter than everyone else for the rest of his life. Shit ain't never gonna be "fair and equal" for him. In fact, if you run down the gauntlet of society you'll find more people that have an unequal disadvantage in life. You want to say that there is institutional racism? That black business owners have it harder? That black home buyers have it harder? That black kids have it harder because their parents are out selling 2 for $5 instead of making them go to school? Fine. They have it harder. That doesn't mean that they can't achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. That just means they have to work harder. I worked harder because I didn't speak English until I was about 10. I worked harder because my parents couldn't afford food, let alone clothes for me to go to school in. I work harder because now my dad is disabled, doesn't have a pension and I pay his bills along with my own. So f***ing what? Am I sitting at home pining for my 40 acres and a donkey? No muthafucka. I work harder.

That analogy comparing being short to institutional racism is just beyond ridiculous and makes no sense so I'm just going to ignore that. You clearly do not understand what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how f***ing hard the black person works in school or in the workplace. It is never going to be good enough until those in power decide to treat African-Americans as EQUALS. How the f*** can we continue to say this country is the "the land of equal opportunity" if we still have systemic racism in this country also? After a certain point of working hard to succeed but constantly having obstacles put in your way, a person is going to become discouraged. For one thing most black people in this country work hard everyday. So let's not perpetuate that stereotype that most black people are on government assistance and have no work ethnic (Paul Ryan). Most black people do work and most black children do go to school. Despite popular belief there are more young black men in college than in prison. So there is plenty of hard work going in the black community. How much hard work will it take for a black kid to get a good education in a failing school? How much hard work will it take for a black person to afford the rising costs of college, especially if they are no longer "college age" and may have other responsibilities to take care of? Remember all those kinds jobs that helped ethnic whites are long gone. How hard will a black person with a felony on their record have to work just to find somebody who will hire them? Is this likely going to be something other than a $7.40 a hour job? How hard is a person saddled with student loan debt for most of their 20s and 30s going to have to work to start a business? Especially in the current job market? How hard is a black person supposed to work to make sure their voting rights aren't taken away from them because their voting patterns? How hard are black people supposed to work so that they can buy a homes in predominately white neighborhoods who don't want them living there? How hard are black business owners supposed to work to get people of all races to buy from them? And on and on. Black people have had to work hard sometimes harder than other for centuries now. Suffering with indignities along the way. But just because we may not have many cases of overt racism today like we did 50 years ago. That doesn't mean that institutional racism still doesn't give black people many more unnecessary obstacles to overcome just because of the color of their skin.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#90 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 09 June 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Yeah there are more poor white people, because there are more white people.

There are more poor white people in this country than there are black people. Its whitey's fault there are so many poor black people... even though there are more poor white people.

No. For every 50 Cent's ancestor's slave owners you give, I can cite examples of people who were rich 100 years ago whose descendents are rich today. Like John D. Rockefeller and his great-great grandson Justin Rockefeller. But um....where did you get the idea that the descendents of the owners of 50 Cent's slave ancestors were "all f***ing white trailer trash"? Because I just watched the same program I think you were referring to and the man 50 Cent meets who is a descendent of the people that owned 50 Cent's slave ancestors (Dr. Billy Dunovant) doesn't look like he's slumming it in some trailer park.

I saw one with a lady who looked like she just came off a meth bender.

But I know you're not trying to equate the racism and struggles the European immigrants who came here during the Industrial Revolution experienced with same type of racism black people experienced during that time.

I'm not equating anything. Nothing is equal. I'm bring up an example of successful immigrant classes who thrived in a relatively short time. They started with virtually nothing, just like emancipated blacks. They had to learn the language, which was a disadvantage. Yet within 2 generations, they fully integrated themselves into the fabric of America. Yea it was easier for them because "they all look white" even though a non Jew can spot a Jew from a mile away & Catholics/Protestants would rather be put to death than have their daughter marry a Christ killer but whatever.

I'm talking about once you got to America. Not life back in the old country. I doubt your life here in America was anything like growing up in Cabrini-Green or the Robert Taylor Homes in the south side of Chicago.

I bet it was eerily similar. No I didn't live in the projects with shot out windows. I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90s. I believe we were still the murder capital of America for about 20 years until Chicago just overtook that title from us last year. I saw cars getting taken apart and lit on fire. I saw it from my window because I had a very early curfew. I wasn't allowed to play with kids that my parents deemed "bad". My parent's were instrumental in what I did, who I did it with and when it was done. My mom made sure that I went to every zoo, every museum & every other bullshit cultural shit that the city had to offer. Before you start talking about my parents having money to do all of that, they didn't. Every museum and zoo gave student discounts that granted access for a "donation". My mom literally would spend a dime to take me everywhere (not counting the subway toll).

Were the class sizes too big? How old was the school? Were there metal detectors in the school because of the constant threat of gun violence? Did you have to step over crack heads on your way to school? How many times were schools closed down in your neighborhood? Were your teachers quickly burnt out or under qualified? How often did you get new textbooks?

This is funny because I just got a crash course in the whole "black/white school" shit. My niece is black, lives in a black neighborhood and goes to a black elementary school. She is graduating 5th grade and was picking a JHS. I was under the assumption that schools in white areas (remember I'm in Brooklyn so there are very few "white" areas, more like areas that are "not predominantly black") are better. So I suggested this and I was way f***ing wrong. The NYC Board of Ed rates schools on a scale of 1-5 across something like 6 categories. The 3 schools that got all 5s are all in black neighborhoods! I was seriously shocked, because as you know, there are no "all white schools" due to affirmative action that requires black kids to be bussed in into "White schools" but there isn't a reversal so these schools are literally, all black. Maybe it's different in shit hole towns like Detroit but that is my personal experience with the whole "White schools have better teachers and newer textbooks" shit.

I see you had both parents in the home, that must of been better than having one parent in the home. I'm guessing your father wasn't constantly in and out of prison or was killed before the age of 30 because of gang violence.

No he was home. I guess the fact that he was raised to be responsible and in turn took to raising me to be responsible is a prime example of the white privilege that you're trying to unearth. My grandfather did spend 8 years in prison, but I guess that didn't rub off on my dad.

How the f*** can we continue to say this country is the "the land of equal opportunity" if we still have systemic racism in this country also?

I've literally never ever heard "the land of EQUAL opportunity" until right now. It's always been "the land of opportunity" but the equality of the opportunity has never been presented as equal. Nor should it. Nor will it. There's absolutely nothing equal about two different people with two different life experiences trying to make it in the world. Some work harder, some come from money, some are naturally smarter, some are built like LeBron James and are millionaires before they are out of their teens, some experience racism some experience prejudice based on race. Whatever. It boils down to "opportunity" and your personal preparedness when that opportunity presents itself.

#91 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

After a certain point of working hard to succeed but constantly having obstacles put in your way, a person is going to become discouraged.

This is the type of dumb shit I expect from you and why I seldom engage in these drawn out shit fests anymore. What do you mean "become discouraged"? We talking about life and providing for your family. This isn't a video game fool. You don't become "discouraged" at life. Life doesn't hand you bonus points to keep you "encouraged" to go through your daily routine, you stupid muthafucka. You want to know what keeps me from being discouraged? Putting a roof over my sons head. Putting gas in my car. Giving my wife money for pedicures and having my mom & dad go on cruises because they worked f***ing hard all of their life and it makes me proud to see them travel the world. That's what keeps me for being discouraged. Due to my job, I've had more doors slammed in my face in one month than most people do in their entire life. IDGAF. I got my personal "encouragement" that motivates me to work hard, not the other way around. Life is full of f***ing obstacles. If you're waiting for a magical genie to pop up, wave his wand and make everything honky dory you will starve to death.

How much hard work will it take for a black kid to get a good education in a failing school?

Not sure how to address this. Why do kids have to go to failing schools? Why aren't there choices like in Brooklyn? Why isn't your child taking placement tests to get to the best school possible?

How much hard work will it take for a black person to afford the rising costs of college, especially if they are no longer "college age" and may have other responsibilities to take care of?

Same as a white person, although due to the fact that black people get preferential college placement, they will have a better "name" on that diploma. How much that's actually worth in the job market is a different story. Since I'm using myself in these examples, I went to a CUNY school for undergrad. Tuition was about $9300 a year. $8000 for classes, and about $1300 for books. You know how much debt I have? $0. You know how I did it? I found this simple trick: I worked 40 hours per week since I was 17. I started as a bank teller, i don't remember how much for but it was less than $10/hour. I then went to work at a call center and eventually made a whopping $12/hour. Was much more than enough to pay for my tuition. Imagine that!

How hard will a black person with a felony on their record have to work just to find somebody who will hire them? Is this likely going to be something other than a $7.40 a hour job?

Ummm... why is this the job markets fault? If I have a choice of hiring someone without a felony and someone with a felony I'm going for the non felon. You're posing this as if felonies are given out for fun. I've had numerous run ins with cops over bullshit. I don't have any felonies. I'm willing to bet that you don't either. It's not hard to not catch felonies... minor drug arrests & violent episodes (like domestic shit) can be plead down to misdemeanor chargers for first time offenders. I'm not saying that the justice system works or the war on drugs isn't retarded, but you have to actually be breaking the law to catch a felony...

How hard is a person saddled with student loan debt for most of their 20s and 30s going to have to work to start a business? Especially in the current job market?

Take on less student debt. WTF. You don't have to go to a school out of state and incur the additional $14K a year in housing costs. You can work on the side and pay for shit yourself. You pose this as if it is a race problem. This country is in debt because people have zero concept of personal finances.

How hard is a black person supposed to work to make sure their voting rights aren't taken away from them because their voting patterns?

I'm not sure what this is. I am sure that voting has become absolutely redundant and no one's voice makes a difference. Our politicians work primarily for the purpose of promoting the interests of business that pay for their campaigns and allow them to take office. This is true in black and white areas alike. Our politicians don't represent us, aren't accessible to us and we shouldn't wait for them to provide us with anything. Same goes for police, judges & law enforcement. This isn't a black/white thing. This is a rich/poor thing.

#92 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Keep it clean boys.
Posted Image

#93 User is offline   Roger Vick Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Wow, talk about two self-righteous, self-important blow-hards. I think we have our nominees for the 2014 award right here in this thread.

I have news for you...no one cares what you think about the right-ness or wrong-ness of the Redskins name, let alone your thoughts on racial relations in the United States or the world for that matter.

The only ones reading your posts in this thread on this site...a New York Jets football forum...are the two of you, who undoubtedly go back and read your own posts...over and over again...thinking about just how articulate you are, how smart you are, and how you've out-smarted, out-worked, out-povertied,and out-accomplished the other. How you are somehow better than the other, and you're going to prove it in this thread, on a Jets football website.

Congratulations, you both win the blow-hard of the year award.

#94 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostRoger Vick, on 09 June 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Wow, talk about two self-righteous, self-important blow-hards. I think we have our nominees for the 2014 award right here in this thread.

I have news for you...no one cares what you think about the right-ness or wrong-ness of the Redskins name, let alone your thoughts on racial relations in the United States or the world for that matter.

The only ones reading your posts in this thread on this site...a New York Jets football forum...are the two of you, who undoubtedly go back and read your own posts...over and over again...thinking about just how articulate you are, how smart you are, and how you've out-smarted, out-worked, out-povertied,and out-accomplished the other. How you are somehow better than the other, and you're going to prove it in this thread, on a Jets football website.

You must be new here. This is the offseason and I have to make sure that Mr Jet is not wasting his Poly Science degree on something trivial.

#95 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Posted Image
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#96 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 09 June 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

There are more poor white people in this country than there are black people. Its whitey's fault there are so many poor black people... even though there are more poor white people.

Who said this? "I'm sure that percentage wise, there are just as many poor whites as there are poor blacks." NOW you want to change shit and talk about total population.

I saw one with a lady who looked like she just came off a meth bender.

:rolleyes: Yeah right. I guess that must have been DOCTOR Dunovant's sister? Maybe the good doctor should help that trailer park trash family member of his that you saw but I didn't see.

I'm not equating anything. Nothing is equal. I'm bring up an example of successful immigrant classes who thrived in a relatively short time. They started with virtually nothing, just like emancipated blacks. They had to learn the language, which was a disadvantage. Yet within 2 generations, they fully integrated themselves into the fabric of America. Yea it was easier for them because "they all look white" even though a non Jew can spot a Jew from a mile away & Catholics/Protestants would rather be put to death than have their daughter marry a Christ killer but whatever.

And what I'm trying to tell you as that when African-Americans did exactly what you said they needed to do, the ethnic whites like the Irish-Americans did everything in their power to try to stop them. The multiple race riots that happened in the early 20th century are the best example of this. These ethnic whites did not want these blacks coming from the south taking their jobs, their neighborhoods, and their positions in society. That's why they attacked them and used their political and law enforcement power to control the blacks in these cities. Used their memberships and influence in the labor unions to exclude black people from getting hired into many of these manufacturing jobs. Who do you think these Irish-Americans were more likely to help find a job, their Irish immigrant cousin fresh off the boat from Ireland or the black guy fresh off the train from Mississippi? It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's going to get that job. The Irish immigrant could at least get their foot in the door while the black migrant would have that same door slammed in their face. Black people tried to do EXACTLY what you said they should've done but it wasn't the upper class WASPs that were the big problem for the blacks moving north, it was the white ethnics you cite that were the problem. They were the ones most threatened by all these black people moving to the north. What were black people supposed to do then? Oh yeah just work harder, why didn't they think of doing that.

But please, if it came down to somebody's lily white protestant daughter laying down with some white ethnic "Christ killer" or a n***** for the rest of her life, who do you think ol' Dad is going to be more accepting of. An ethnic white was the lesser of two evils. Plus we didn't have laws in many states outlawing marriage between WASPs and white ethnics. Hell a white ethnic immigrant couldn't marry a black American in some states because it was illegal. Because despite that white ethnic being a white ethnic they were still white. In many cases anyway it was a WASP man marrying a white ethnic woman. Likely because he was "slumming" with the white ethnic girl and got her knocked up.

I bet it was eerily similar. No I didn't live in the projects with shot out windows. I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90s. I believe we were still the murder capital of America for about 20 years until Chicago just overtook that title from us last year. I saw cars getting taken apart and lit on fire. I saw it from my window because I had a very early curfew. I wasn't allowed to play with kids that my parents deemed "bad". My parent's were instrumental in what I did, who I did it with and when it was done. My mom made sure that I went to every zoo, every museum & every other bullshit cultural shit that the city had to offer. Before you start talking about my parents having money to do all of that, they didn't. Every museum and zoo gave student discounts that granted access for a "donation". My mom literally would spend a dime to take me everywhere (not counting the subway toll).

Eerily similar. Okay. It isn't about having money, it's about having the proper upbringing and having the time to parent a child. It's about having a stable home environment to raise a child. What you don't think kids in the ghetto go to class field trips to the zoo and to museums? Of course they do (when their funding isn't being cut for it). But all that shit doesn't matter if your are not provided the proper tools to succeed at the next level. That means having good schools, good neighborhoods, and good parenting. You need all of those things. And part of good parenting means having the time to teach your kids the things they need to know that they don't learn in school. But if a parent or parents are having to constantly work outside of the home to keep that home and are away from their children when the child is not in school, that child is going to miss out on some of the parenting they need. I've have seen many children who come from two parent homes become f*** ups and go to prison. And I've seen children from single parent homes go off and become successful citizens. But it is more difficult for kids if they have bad schools and live in bad neighborhoods. No matter how much hard work these kids do they are always playing catch up.

This is funny because I just got a crash course in the whole "black/white school" shit. My niece is black, lives in a black neighborhood and goes to a black elementary school. She is graduating 5th grade and was picking a JHS. I was under the assumption that schools in white areas (remember I'm in Brooklyn so there are very few "white" areas, more like areas that are "not predominantly black") are better. So I suggested this and I was way f***ing wrong. The NYC Board of Ed rates schools on a scale of 1-5 across something like 6 categories. The 3 schools that got all 5s are all in black neighborhoods! I was seriously shocked, because as you know, there are no "all white schools" due to affirmative action that requires black kids to be bussed in into "White schools" but there isn't a reversal so these schools are literally, all black. Maybe it's different in shit hole towns like Detroit but that is my personal experience with the whole "White schools have better teachers and newer textbooks" shit.

Well unfortunately not everybody is fortunate enough to grow up in the utopia that is Brooklyn, New York were all things are possible. But I can tell you there are definitely differences in the quality of education in places like Chicago.

The performance gap between Chicago’s black and white students — and between its poorest students and their wealthier classmates — continues to widen, newly released data show.

Black Chicago Public Schools students fell further behind whites in three of four key measures, according to the 2013 National Assessment of Educational Progress, often called the Nation’s Report Card.

http://www.suntimes....ml#.U5YnwCgQP7M

Hey look another example where a newspaper said "black" instead of "African-American". And here I was told they always had to say "African-American".

I've literally never ever heard "the land of EQUAL opportunity" until right now. It's always been "the land of opportunity" but the equality of the opportunity has never been presented as equal. Nor should it. Nor will it. There's absolutely nothing equal about two different people with two different life experiences trying to make it in the world. Some work harder, some come from money, some are naturally smarter, some are built like LeBron James and are millionaires before they are out of their teens, some experience racism some experience prejudice based on race. Whatever. It boils down to "opportunity" and your personal preparedness when that opportunity presents itself.

So you say nobody is equal and peope are different. But yet you've gone to great lengths to tell me your life story and how your family was able to overcome obstacles and therefor other people (who remember are different) should be able to do what you and your family did...because were all the same? You're talking out of your ass and out of both sides of your mouth. Things shouldn't be equal between two different people (like opportunities) but if somebody wants to succeed in life they should do the same things you and your family did. You say "there's absolutely nothing equal about two different people with two different life experiences". But black people should've done what white ethnic immigrants did and they would have had the same outcomes. Black kids in the ghetto are different from white kids from the suburbs and their schools are unequal, but the black kids should work harder and they'll have the same outcomes as the white kids. Why even bring up white ethnic immigrants if we're all different with different life experiences and opportunities are not equal and they shouldn't be equal? No black kids, just work harder than you already are even though the opportunities (you may never get) are unequal now, because all that hard work will pay off when those opportunities (you may never get) are still unequal later.

Equality is one of the principals this nation was founded on but then people like you want to come along and say f*** that shit, greed and stacking the deck in your own favor is what America is all about now. You can't change it, just deal with it. With that mindset no wonder things are so fucked up today.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#97 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 09 June 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

This is the type of dumb shit I expect from you and why I seldom engage in these drawn out shit fests anymore. What do you mean "become discouraged"? We talking about life and providing for your family. This isn't a video game fool. You don't become "discouraged" at life. Life doesn't hand you bonus points to keep you "encouraged" to go through your daily routine, you stupid muthafucka. You want to know what keeps me from being discouraged? Putting a roof over my sons head. Putting gas in my car. Giving my wife money for pedicures and having my mom & dad go on cruises because they worked f***ing hard all of their life and it makes me proud to see them travel the world. That's what keeps me for being discouraged. Due to my job, I've had more doors slammed in my face in one month than most people do in their entire life. IDGAF. I got my personal "encouragement" that motivates me to work hard, not the other way around. Life is full of f***ing obstacles. If you're waiting for a magical genie to pop up, wave his wand and make everything honky dory you will starve to death.

I am not trying to hear that shit. As I've told you many times before nobody is forcing your dumb ass to hit that reply button. So just save all that. Since "there's absolutely nothing equal about two different people with two different life experiences trying to make it in the world," just quit it with all the anecdotal evidence you're trying to give me. Your life experiences are not like another persons and therefore you should not expect everybody to do what you and your family did. Despite what you may want to believe your life here in the land of opportunity is not and will not be the same as a black person your age from the inner city, and that black person will likely not be able to do what you did. I don't give a damn about f***ing language barriers for white immigrants. That is not shit compared to growing up in a area where you could be shot dead just by walking to that under-performing school. I'm sorry but you didn't have it as hard as many young black people in this country have had it for the last 30 years. And I don't care if that sounds like me whining or me playing the dreaded race card. It's the f***ing truth.

Not sure how to address this. Why do kids have to go to failing schools? Why aren't there choices like in Brooklyn? Why isn't your child taking placement tests to get to the best school possible?

There is school choice in many states. There is school choice in Michigan. You don't think most parents want to send their kids to the best schools possible? How are they ALL going to get there? How does that help the kids who are left behind in the under-performing school? School choice is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. School choice doesn't fix the problem of why under-performing schools are under-performing.

Same as a white person, although due to the fact that black people get preferential college placement, they will have a better "name" on that diploma. How much that's actually worth in the job market is a different story. Since I'm using myself in these examples, I went to a CUNY school for undergrad. Tuition was about $9300 a year. $8000 for classes, and about $1300 for books. You know how much debt I have? $0. You know how I did it? I found this simple trick: I worked 40 hours per week since I was 17. I started as a bank teller, i don't remember how much for but it was less than $10/hour. I then went to work at a call center and eventually made a whopping $12/hour. Was much more than enough to pay for my tuition. Imagine that!

Tuition at the University of Michigan is around $13,000 a year for in state students. Not counting books and room and board. The total cost for a Michigan resident to attend MSU was around over $22,000 a year in 2012-13. Now let's say some 17 year old kid is somehow able to work 40 hours a week AND be a senior in high school. This kid gets paid $12 a hour (LOL, like there wouldn't be multiple applicants for that job in this economy). That kid is going to end up making around $23,000 that year BEFORE taxes. That $12 a hour job is still not enough to pay for his freshman year at MSU. I also hope that kid doesn't have anymore bills or living expenses they have to pay for. But hey, you did it so they should be able to do it too. Because everybody's situation is the same right? I'll just tell the high school kids around here not to get loans from the bank, go get a job application from the bank instead. If not a bank than someplace else that is hiring people at $12 a hour, 40 hours a week. Because those $12 a hour, 40 hours a week jobs are soo plentiful for high school students in Michigan. Especially in cities like Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Flint.

Ummm... why is this the job markets fault? If I have a choice of hiring someone without a felony and someone with a felony I'm going for the non felon. You're posing this as if felonies are given out for fun. I've had numerous run ins with cops over bullshit. I don't have any felonies. I'm willing to bet that you don't either. It's not hard to not catch felonies... minor drug arrests & violent episodes (like domestic shit) can be plead down to misdemeanor chargers for first time offenders. I'm not saying that the justice system works or the war on drugs isn't retarded, but you have to actually be breaking the law to catch a felony...

It's the fault of the people who tell EX-felons to work hard and get a job and be a productive member of society. How the f*** is somebody suppose to be a "productive member of society" if they're not given a job to be productive? Okay somebody does something stupid in their teen years, catches a case, goes to prison for a while and then gets released. Your answer is don't break the law in the first place. Oh you did something stupid when you were 16 and it is still effecting you when you're 23? Too bad you shouldn't have broke the law in the first place, sucks to be you I guess. Yeah that'll help keep the recidivism rate down. I'll give you credit though. Most people would say ex-felons should get a job and become productive members of society. You say to ex-felons, f*** 'em, they shouldn't have broke the law in the first place. No I don't have any felonies, I've never even gotten a misdemeanor (people aren't supposed to have those things). But I'll tell you this, if I grew up in the hood in severe poverty, watching my parent(s) struggle to make ends meet week after week. And I saw people in the neighborhood selling drugs and making hundreds of dollars a night....I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I wouldn't seriously consider it. Especially if I was some dumb kid thinking I'm smarter than everybody and so I'm not going to get caught doing it.

Take on less student debt. WTF. You don't have to go to a school out of state and incur the additional $14K a year in housing costs. You can work on the side and pay for shit yourself. You pose this as if it is a race problem. This country is in debt because people have zero concept of personal finances.

Yeah because many poor college kids don't already have jobs and go to school. Their all just lazy bums. Oh but they better be sure not to make too much money or they'll cut the Pell grant funding they get. The problem is states keep cutting funding to public universities and many of the administrators at these universities are paid too much.

I'm not sure what this is. I am sure that voting has become absolutely redundant and no one's voice makes a difference. Our politicians work primarily for the purpose of promoting the interests of business that pay for their campaigns and allow them to take office. This is true in black and white areas alike. Our politicians don't represent us, aren't accessible to us and we shouldn't wait for them to provide us with anything. Same goes for police, judges & law enforcement. This isn't a black/white thing. This is a rich/poor thing.

Politicians aren't accessible? When was the last time you (or most people) even tried to contact an elected official? Have you ever even been to a city commission meeting? I could either call my state Representative or IM him on Facebook and get a response from him. I've never donated one dime to him. I'm a member of a the same social club as some of the people on my city commission. So I talk to them regularly. I had dinner and drinks with my mayor a few months ago. I wrote Senator Levin a few months ago in regards to a former co-worker of mine who is an Iraq war vet. His office wrote me back and provided me with information to services my ex co-worker could use for help. I've never given Senator Levin a donation. My friend visited the White House a few years ago when he visited D.C., our congressman set that up. Some Democrats running for office in my state have personally talked to me and asked me to work for their campaigns (paid positions mind you). So I'm not trying to hear elected officials aren't accessible to the average person. Granted I can't call the the President on the phone, but I can call my local officials and work to get shit done in my community. But why should elected officials listen to people who don't care about anything and don't vote? What threat are apathetic dumbasses who are uninvolved to an elected official? Why should politicians provide anything to people who don't even vote? They already know you don't like them and you don't vote, so you're no threat to them. They know all they have to do is get the people they know like them and will vote for them out to the polls and screw the rest of y'all and I don't blame them. The problem is some politicians (mostly Republicans) know they can't just rely on just old white male vote alone to keep them in office and they don't want to appeal to other groups. So they know if they want to stay in power they have to suppress the vote in the communities heavily populated by minorities. That's obvious.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#98 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostRoger Vick, on 09 June 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Who asked you anyway? You come in here to complain about our posts but yet your stupid ass keeps coming back to read them. That's like me pouring water over my head and then complaining that I'm wet. Take your 37 posts and go sit down some place.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#99 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Anti-Redskins TV ad set to air during NBA Finals
By Chuck Schilken

Racial insensitivity has been a prime topic of conversation during the NBA postseason, thanks to Clippers owner Donald Sterling and his controversial comments about blacks.

A group is hoping to use the heightened awareness of the issue in its own fight against what it feels is a racist term being used as a team name in another pro sport.

The Northern California-based Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation plans to air a 60-second version of a National Congress of American Indians ad during halftime of Game 3 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night. The spot is to appear in seven major markets, including Los Angeles

The group is opposed to the name of the NFL's Washington Redskins. In the ad, a narrator lists names of tribes and famous people, as well as a variety of words such as "proud," "patriots," and "strong" before saying:

"Native Americans call themselves many things. The one thing they don't ..."

Then there's silence and viewers see an image of a Redskins helmet.

When Sterling's comments were made public last month, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver acted swiftly by fining the Clippers' owner $2.5 million, banning him for life from all league activities and pushing for the sale of his team.

Seattle Seahawks star Richard Sherman told Time magazine he didn't think Sterling's punishment would have been as severe in the NFL. His reasoning?

"Because we have an NFL team called the Redskins," Sherman said. "I don’t think the NFL really is as concerned [about racial issues] as they show. The NFL is more of a bottom-line league. If it doesn’t affect their bottom line, they’re not as concerned."

We'll see if appealing to the NBA's fan base helps the movement against the D.C.-based team's name.

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#100 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

I saw the ad on Yahoo. It will be interesting if this turns into a pissing match or if Dan Snyder ignores it.
Posted Image

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users