Reputation: 2 Neutral
- Active Posts:
- 147(0.04 per day)
- Most Active In:
- THE JETS HUDDLE (146 posts)
- 11-September 05
- Profile Views:
- Last Active:
- Jan 13 2015 10:44 AM
- NFL Team:
Posts I've Made
Posted 13 Jan 2015So how do the jets get back to being competitive?
well its a long list but we'll start at the top
1) Find a GM - this has to happen 1st as it will be his job to start fixing the team. Somebody who is a football guy and hire an accountant guy as assistant GM. we need to do better in the draft and landing free agents that can help.
2) Hire a coach - whoever the GM is, he will need to pick a coach. the 2 will be tied together for quite some time. let him pick his guy. The rest of the staff is still here. out OC and DC haven't gone anywhere, finding a coach that fits with out system would be nice, but not necessary
3) Let the coach get his coordinators/assistants - were not tied to a QB. geno will be here, simms will be our emergency QB. we still don't have a starter but either way, any QB we get will need to learn our system, so changing now won't be a huge deal. The defense is built for a 3-4 but I think we can adjust to a 4-3 easily if needed. wilk stats at DE, richardson swings inside with snacks and coples moves back to DE, another option is to have rich and wilk at ends and snacks and ellis at DT and leave coples at OLB. we have enough versatility with coples who can play OLB or DE, Rich who can be a DT or DE, and Davis who has the ability to play ILB or OLB.
4) Talent - we need to add talent, between the draft and free agency. we have an as ton of money to spend. brick and mangold should restrucutre, harvin should restructure.
5) resign key players
Breakdown by position
QB) Geno and simms - we need a 3rd QB preferably someone who can start but its not out there, the best option is to land a QB. maybe winston but doubtful. I"d liek to see us find a way to land him though. if not it'll be geno and some other journeyman competing.
RB) ivory, powell, CJ - not a great group, but not bad. ivory is tough but weak in the pass game and injury prone, CJ's best years are behind him but we cna keep him 1 more year. he's a good reviever and pass blocker so he compliments ivory well. powell is a decent jack of all trades. this position can wait. bohannon will be back and connor is good. 1 of them will take the FB role
TE) amaro, cumberland, sudfeld - were good here. lets see what amaro can do, cumberland is decent, sudfeld is a good 3rd TE.
WR) harvin, decker, kerly - all 3 are locked up for 4+ years. decker has shown when healthy he is a capable number 1. keep harvin but restructure. he's explosive and compliments decker who is more a possession guy. kerly is a good slot WR who had a rough year. we need to add some depth here though. evans will be back off IR from his rookie season. we need to grab some depth though the draft or FAs
O-line) brick, mangold, colon, winters, brent - this group is terrible. mangold is still a stud, brick is declining but good enough still. the rest are trash. colon is a penalty machine who's best years are long gone, winters is a bum, and brent is a bum. both would be solid backups. abushi did ok for the injured winters but still not a starter. we need to find 2 new starters at least and demote our starters to backups and we'll have depth. need to get o-line in free agency and the draft
D-line/LBers) wilk, snacks, ellis, richardson, coples, davis, pace, harris - resign harris. he will be out MLB regardless of the system. i grouped them together because we don't know if we will be a 3-4 or 4-3 and depending on the system, some guys will change positions. either way front 7 is a strength of this team and doesn't need to be addressed. any system we play our d-line will be top 5 as will the front 7 as a whole.
DBs) not even gonna list names - this whole group is trash. period. needs major upgrades. pryor has been a bust but too young to give up on. he needs to make big improvements. he'll be out SS, landry is a decent FS but we need an upgrade, jarret has given us decent depth as does allen. I'd like to see a better FS but overall safety isn't a huge position in need of changes. guys just need to improve. CBs however are bad. milliner will get 1 more year to prove he can be healthy and play, but i don't want him as a number 1, we'll try him as a number 2. there are some decent options at CB in free agency. cro and revis should be available as well as a few other good guys. we need to land 1 of them as our number 1 CB. mcdougle will be back off IR from a rookie as the 5th CB and our 4thCB can be the one who has played well this year for us starting, i can't remember his name
SP teams) harvin is a great KR, PR is an issue, maybe evans can do it? kerly is solid but doesn't get many yards. folk had an off year but is still a stud. quigly did OK. not worried about special teams.
Biggest offseason needs (players)
I think you are being a bit of an optimist with some of these players but on the whole it makes sense. I would never keep Harvin unless he drops his demands heavily and I don't see him doing that. He is too injury prone and we could spend our money more wisely.
The O-line is truly a problem. I see Mangold as the only strong piece there anymore. To begin with, I would use some of that cap money to bring in Mike Iupati. That would really help our guard situation. Then I would spend a little more to bring in a CB - maybe that kid from the Texans (especially if Macaggnon is the new GM). Not really interested in Revis or Cromartie - prefer youth. I also think both QB's in the draft are too hit or miss for the 6 pick so I would bring in Jake Locker to compete and draft a QB later on in round 3 or so. The final cap spend would go Cobb from GB.
As for the draft, I would concentrate on a pass rusher, O-line, CB and S. We have 6 picks this year (lose one to Seattle).
The fun thing would be to think about signing Suh and changing to a 4-3 with Wilk, Richardson, Harrison and Suh up front. Let Harris walk to save even more money. Makes poor financial sense but I would pay handsomely to watch that group. Just fantasizing.
- Member Title:
- Drafted Rookie
- Age Unknown
- Birthday Unknown
- Click here to e-mail me
chocomag hasn't added any friends yet.